1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Redcoat

Redcoat Oakley Beginner

Hi folks,
    I'm a new addict to Xmetals..purchased three new Plasma Juliets and a new Mars as of late. Just a question to the X Metal veterans: I understand that after a few years of heavy usage, they will require a tune up (via Oakley or the X Man), but will the actual frame need any new parts aside from the occasional tune up? In other words, if X Metals are taken good care of, will they last indefinitely? Or are they subject to an eventual death? :)
    Cheers

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

They're a titanium alloy. The finish can deteriorate over time, so by "taken good care of", that means cleaning them as well as not otherwise destroying them such as by running them over with a Hummer or something.

Aside from the nosebridge, there are plastic washers in the earstem hinges that may eventually need to be replaced. And the other rubber parts can deteriorate, most likely the nosebombs and earsocks.

But otherwise the titanium frame should outlast you. Make a will.

3. ISeeThruYou

ISeeThruYou Oakley Beginner

What does Oakley do when you send them in for a "tune up"? Just replace the hinges and tighten the screws - or do they treat the finish on the metal as well?

4. Rustpot

Rustpot M Frame Lover Premium Member

They don't touch the finish. They'll replace the nose bridge rubber, the temple washers, any screws that need replacing, and I think they'll do lenses and standard rubber kits for an additional fee.

Frankly, now that the parts are drying up, unless you're sending a Juliet for factory rubber or lenses the X-Man is the better value.

5. ISeeThruYou

What/who is the X-man?

6. Vrexx

Vrexx Oakley Expert

He is a forum member that does custom work for other members including all of the services Oakley HQ offers and more. He does custom re-finishes of the frames, etc. See his thread here > The X-MAN Customs Corner or his website here > The X-MAN Custom Metalworks

7. ISeeThruYou

Wow. Thats some good work. The prices are really good too for what he does.

8. reginacarmelitas

reginacarmelitas Oakley Beginner

You will not be disappointed. He is the best at what he does. He's done a few frames for me.

9. ISeeThruYou

The frame coloring is really cool - I didn't even think that was possible.

10. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

Nothing lasts forever. But X Metals last a long time.