• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal Longevity

Redcoat

Oakley Beginner
Hi folks,
I'm a new addict to Xmetals..purchased three new Plasma Juliets and a new Mars as of late. Just a question to the X Metal veterans: I understand that after a few years of heavy usage, they will require a tune up (via Oakley or the X Man), but will the actual frame need any new parts aside from the occasional tune up? In other words, if X Metals are taken good care of, will they last indefinitely? Or are they subject to an eventual death? :)
Cheers

They're a titanium alloy. The finish can deteriorate over time, so by "taken good care of", that means cleaning them as well as not otherwise destroying them such as by running them over with a Hummer or something.

Aside from the nosebridge, there are plastic washers in the earstem hinges that may eventually need to be replaced. And the other rubber parts can deteriorate, most likely the nosebombs and earsocks.

But otherwise the titanium frame should outlast you. Make a will.

What does Oakley do when you send them in for a "tune up"? Just replace the hinges and tighten the screws - or do they treat the finish on the metal as well?

They don't touch the finish. They'll replace the nose bridge rubber, the temple washers, any screws that need replacing, and I think they'll do lenses and standard rubber kits for an additional fee.

Frankly, now that the parts are drying up, unless you're sending a Juliet for factory rubber or lenses the X-Man is the better value.

They don't touch the finish. They'll replace the nose bridge rubber, the temple washers, any screws that need replacing, and I think they'll do lenses and standard rubber kits for an additional fee.

Frankly, now that the parts are drying up, unless you're sending a Juliet for factory rubber or lenses the X-Man is the better value.

What/who is the X-man?

Latest Posts

Back