• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Nosebridge Rivet Removal Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
something tells me im gonna be getting alot of damaged nosebridges .what about the rubber?
trying to copy the oem design doesnt work.nice idea though.
Haha. Yeah, maybe this will even increase business for you. Why do you say that copying the oem design doesn't work? When I did my first few I used my calipers to measure the dimensions of the oem and cut the pre-folded silicone to those dimensions, punch the hole, and tried them out. Seemed to work well. I'm just trying to "cast" them now so you get the 1mm long section where the two halves meet.

Now you have to find the correct grade of rubber that wont retain memory or deteriorate with sweat.thats where the xman has a huge advantage, and my rivits are .001" larger because when you push the rivits out ,the hole in the bridge is the same size as the rivit.so most likely over a short period of time they will start falling out.people can do it themselves ,but once the bridge is compromised there is no way to repair it.my fee is only$50.00 and next day service with 100% gaurenteed satisfaction....when im ready to hang it up in 20 years........ill post a detailed youtube video on exactly how its done.

Last edited:
Now you have to find the correct grade of rubber that wont retain memory or deteriorate with sweat.thats where the xman has a huge advantage, and my rivits are .001" larger because when you push the rivits out ,the hole in the bridge is the same size as the rivit.so most likely over a short period of time they will start falling out.people can do it themselves ,but once the bridge is compromised there is no way to fix it. my fee is only$50.00 and next day service with 100% gaurenteed satisfaction....when im ready to hang it up in 20 years........ill post a detailed youtube video on exactly how its done.
Hey,

I found a suitable grade of rubber both in sheet form and liquid form. The sheets work for me, but are more difficult to install than the oem style...which i am in the process of milling a mould for.

I had also read your post from ages ago regarding the 0.001" oversize rivets. In my experience the nosebridge hole doesn't enlarge at all, its the rivet that looses some of its diameter over time. I had to install and remove the rivet over 30 times to be able to measure a diameter contraction of more than 0.001". I'd estimate that you could potentially have issues with the original rivets if you remove and reinstall more than 30 times. Other than that scenario, i can't fathom having an issue arise because of the rivet diameter. Again, in my testing, the holes on the nosebridge didn't change size AT ALL. I really don't think people should be alarmed at all about ruining their sunglasses.

I also do hope you continue the service for 20 years, there are many people that don't have the slightest interest in doing this themselves, but i'm what my wife calls a "tinkerer"...i don't like things to be "stock." And there are some people just like me, this tool and material is for those people.

My only issue is, why wait until you "hang it up" to show people how you do it? Why not just show people? It's not like most people have an air compressor and the correct grit and media to blast the finishes (i still can't get the correct X-Metal finish...but have figured out 1st gen plasma. Also, most people simply probably couldn't "tune" these sunglasses, I think it takes practice.

My only issue is, why wait until you "hang it up" to show people how you do it? Why not just show people?

Because he's spent the time and money to do it right, and has a profitable side business as a result of that. Forgive me for speaking for someone else but the way he has approached this is exactly how I would have as well.

If he tells people how he does it undoubtedly there will be no shortage of people who have no business attempting the process who try it, screw up their glasses, and then bitch about it. That risks tarnishing what is essentially a flawless reputation. He'd also have to deal with PMs about where he gets his media, where he gets his rubber, rivets, etc.

Why go through all that and potentially make his job harder fixing the pairs that should have been a standard tune up but now have damaged nose bridges as well?

I'm all for what you are doing here, offering the chance for someone to take a crack at repairing their own frames. I don't agree with you though in regards to X-MAN telling his trade secrets.

Great thread. As a graphic designer, I find the most interesting aspect to any project is the blood spilled getting to the final outcome. Conversations like these shape the ideas, thanks for sharing.

Count me in for one.

And I agree with Krank. Its awesome that the Xman does not feel disrespected even though it appears that some other forum members take exception. Kudos to the Xman for coming here to ajirbl thread and contributing. This is what makes the forum great. Hoping this tool turns out better for it.

if you have this tool it would be great, and im willing to buy 1 just. But I would rather send my oakley to x-man for his professional services

No matter what you show someone, they seem to screw up something somewhere. Having the tool, rivets, flex material, and a how to video still won't get you 100% perfect job. Unless you practice at it over and over again to get it right. You want to sell a tool, then maybe provide flex material and rivets, how many people are going to buy it? Sell one to a person that has milling experience and he takes it, changes up the design and cranks em out faster and cheaper. It just like anything else someone tries to duplicate. Take for example cutting lenses, how many people have tried and don't have the patience to do it? Or they watch the video, see how it's done, buy all the stuff and still screw it all up. Then they cry about how they messed up a lens or they show off a cut that's not just perfect. It maybe for their own stuff but they are not doing lens cuts for the masses. I hope that people understand that when they mess up their only pair that someone will be their to fix it. The tool is a fantastic idea but it takes skill to use it. And if the design is not flawless then it's back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back