• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Nosebridge Rivet Removal Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter what you show someone, somebody seem to screw up something somewhere. Having the tool, rivets, flex material, and a how to video still won't be you 100% perfect job. Unless you practice at it over and over again to get it right. You want to sell a tool, then maybe provide flex material and rivets, how many people are going to buy it? Sell one to a person that has milling experience and he takes it, changes up the design and cranks em out faster and cheaper. It just like anything else someone tries to duplicate. Take for example cutting lenses, how many people have tried and don't have the patience to do it? Or they watch the video, see how it's done, buy all the stuff and still screw it all up. Then they cry about how they messed up a lens or they show off a cut that's not just perfect. It maybe for their own stuff but they are not doing lens cuts for the masses. I hope that people understand that when they mess up their only pair that someone will be their to fix it. The tool is a fantastic idea but it takes skill to use it. And if the design is not flawless then it's back to the drawing board.

I agree. There are people who will scratch their glasses, there are people who will copy it, and there are people who will get it and not have the patience to do it. I'm not looking to get rich off this thing, I've got a job that provides just fine for myself and my family (and even if 25 x $75 = $1,875 was going to make a huge difference in my life then I probably shouldn't own all of the x-metals I own.) I asked for 25 people to be interested before I'd bother making them because I couldn't be bothered to spend the time otherwise, I've already got what I need to tuneup my own glasses. The tool, couplers, etc is for the probably very few people who want to give this a shot on their own since it really isn't difficult...especially if you protect the glasses while doing it.

If the design isn't flawless, it really won't be back to the drawing board...its not like there is going to be tech support and "updates" on this. The tool works fine as it is...at least for me.

Edit: My response after reading came off condescending. I do not mean for it to be taken like that. I simply mean that the community has been a help long before I "joined" and if im able to help even just a few members then i'll do what I can.

I sent a message to The X-Man a few weeks ago asking about acquiring a few extra rivets for my own future use as I had planned to send some in for refinishing. I made it extremely clear that I have no intention to provide anything like his services...I simply wouldn't have the time. But I've also just gone ahead and refinished my own because I have the tools to be able to do it, and I just had a machine shop make me some of the rivits I'd need (at quite the expense I might add considering I only asked for 20...should have used up all my 3 hour minimum, lol)

Last edited:
Speaking for myself only I have no intentions if this tool is made to use to try to make money. It is simply a learning piece for me to see what and how my glasses are made. I'd much rather send them off to the X-Man after I take them apart if he is will to accept a pair of glasses broken down? Again my purpose for taking them apart would be just to see what most of us will never get the chance to see. Maybe it won't be that exciting!

xmetalmaniac the only way anyone learns is by trying. Whether it's lens cutting, nose bridge tightening, cerakoting, etc.. I have had lenses custom cut by several different forum members and not one has fit right. Some have gaps some needed to be shaved down to fit properly. I say don't be afraid to try to learn something new but just be ready for the consequences of learning. Hopefully no ones feelings will be hurt and after we try and fail to repair our glasses there will still be an expert willing to help us all out! lol.

Where are you guys getting the rivets?
Any machine shop can make them quite easily. You just have to have one for them to measure and copy. I popped out a rivet and got my machine shop to copy them for me. Like I said earlier though, I should have asked for more than 20...they probably could have made me a couple hundred in three hours.

xmetalmaniac the only way anyone learns is by trying. Whether it's lens cutting, nose bridge tightening, cerakoting, etc.. I have had lenses custom cut by several different forum members and not one has fit right. Some have gaps some needed to be shaved down to fit properly. I say don't be afraid to try to learn something new but just be ready for the consequences of learning.

You haven't had me cut your lenses, one of the main reasons I suggest members to send me their frame. I have several different templates and I make sure they fit before they leave. X Metal frames are cast so even Oakley OEM lenses are sometimes not cut right. I cut each one to the frame you send. O Matter frames are a different story, and much easier to work with. I am all for learning something and failing for me just allows me to improve, overcome and come up with a different approach to getting the job done. Unless you have drive then most people run outta gas at the first sign of failure. Ill try anything and find new ways of approaching it at different angles. We all gotta remember that we are dealing with simple plastic and metal here. There are truly more important things in life then Oakley. Like getting tied up in a BDSM club and tortured by several women. Trust me, it's not the sunglasses that they dig!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back