• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Or Titanium?

Silent Oz

Oakley Expert
Co. Durham, UK
Got a carbon frame at Oakley at the minute with a threaded orbital screw stuck in the frame, they say they cant get it out. My options are;
1. they send it back as is, they are still wearable just wont ever be able to change one of the lenses
2. pay £75 for a replacement frame, with a choice of X-metal, Titanium or Ducati X-Metal

Thinking about going with Titanium as i've got 2 X-Metal frames already, but never seen a Titanium so dont know if i'll like it, and i'm really indecisive!
Help me decide people, what do i pick? And what is the difference (if any) between X-Metal and Ducati X-Metal? Is that just going to be a serial number difference?

if i was you i'll choose the ducati frame,not sure they have the x-metal color on hand probably the carbon frame
it's only my opinion
good luck

I'd go for the Ducati frame too, if they'll give it to you. I wonder if it would come with red rubber or if they would throw your existing rubber on there.

Yeah if you could get red rubber out of it that would be a sweet deal but that depends if you want a carbon frame or not (Ducati Juliet is Carbon, right?).

That's a hard one...I'd go for the Ducati X-Metal only b/c I recently picked up a Titanium. I'd ask for more details as to what exactly you'll be getting. Both are hard to find colorways, and both have their respective originalities.

Titanium - Gold Iridium lenses (one of the best looking and viewing through lenses, imo), Titanium color frame (inbetween a 1st plasma and newer gen plasma), known for having serial numbers that wear off (due to it being printed on, instead of stamped or engraved) and harder to find than an X-Metal Ducati (in my experience at least).

Ducati X-Metal - X-Metal color frame (1st gen Ducati release, before the Carbon colorway), other than that I believe there isn't any other variances in comparison to the Carbon Ducati (beside the fact that the newer gen Carbon Ducati aren't serialized), also hard to come by but seen more often on eBay than the Ti frame.

Good luck with whatever you choose!!

I would go with Titanium, looks like a cross between X Metal and Plasma to me.
The X Metal Ducati option is interesting if it's serialized. There won't be a difference in color between the Ducati X Metal and X Metal.
I would have thought that frame should have been gone a long time ago.
So if its serialized get the Ducati and if not get the Titanium.
Whenever I see a Titanium pair of Juliets for sale they seem to command a higher price.
My .02

Whenever I see a Titanium pair of Juliets for sale they seem to command a higher price.
My .02

That would be a good reason to snag the Titanium. If he ever decided to resell them, he'd definitely get more for them than a Ducati X-Metal. Plus, you just can't beat the Gold Iridium lenses...one of my favorites now, lol.

I doubt they are serialized, I thought they got rid of serials frames long ago?

If it's a X-Metal framed Ducati, there may still be a chance that they are serialized. Oakley's gotta be hoarding stashes of old frames and parts with serials still. Could be he'll get a MPH too, with a spare serialized stem. I think they tell customers that they can't fix certain frames...offer them alternative options...then keep and teardown the original frame, refurb and save the parts that are still good...then they just recycle parts into a MPH frame and offer it as an alternative exchange, like in OZ's case.

I doubt they are serialized, I thought they got rid of serials frames long ago?

you'd think so wouldn't you but why would they distingush between X-Metal and Ducati X-Metal if its not serialised?
I'll ask when i phone back tomorrow, current line of thinking is go with the ducati if its serialised or if not titanium

Back