• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal Process

1st or earlier generations are worth more... :)
Even though they're prone to discolor and such? How serious is the issue of discoloring and flaking on that finish? I read up on the TiO2 reviews on O-Review and no one mentioned anything about the early gen orbitals discoloring or flaking. Is it as bad as the Mag line?

Even though they're prone to discolor and such? How serious is the issue of discoloring and flaking on that finish? I read up on the TiO2 reviews on O-Review and no one mentioned anything about the early gen orbitals discoloring or flaking. Is it as bad as the Mag line?

yeah, 'worth more' is because of peple who are into "low serial numbers" etc. problem isnt as bad as the Mags, but there is some severe discoloration that can go on. ill find an example for you..

Plasma discoloration.

PlasmaFireDiscoloration.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pics! Those areas seem like places that come in constant contact with skin. When I wear my TiO2 none of the orbital parts touch my face. Would that help alleviate discoloration? I also make an effort to only touch the X-Metal parts instead of the orbitals. Granted it can't always be avoided but I'm so paranoid about the orbitals touching skin now that immediately wipe them when do accidentally touch them.

Am I going overboard with that?

Thanks for the pics! Those areas seem like places that come in constant contact with skin. When I wear my TiO2 none of the orbital parts touch my face. Would that help alleviate discoloration? I also make an effort to only touch the X-Metal parts instead of the orbitals. Granted it can't always be avoided but I'm so paranoid about the orbitals touching skin now that immediately wipe them when do accidentally touch them.

Am I going overboard with that?

cant be too careful i guess, but usually just clean it when i get to a bathroom or end of the day is fine..

Back