• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-metal / Ruby Juliets - Speculation

Funny thing, when I first saw the Ruby Juliets, I wasn't really taken with them. I liked the Juliet shape, but the lenses just didn't do it for me back then, so I bought x metal Juliets with BI lenses instead.

Nowadays, I wish I did buy them back then.

The polar lense is crystal clear

It wouldn't not be.

The polarized filter can block light from any particular orientation. In lenses, it's oriented to block reflected light from below you, such as from the ground, water, the hood of a car, etc.

Unless you cut them at the same angle as the donors, i.e. the bottom center of the donors is still the bottom center after the cut, then the polarization will no longer block reflected light from the desired angle. My understanding is you have to cut R2 from BT more corner-to-corner, throwing off the orientation by around 35 - 45 degrees. Clarity would be the same but you're no longer getting the proper benefit from the polarization; they might as well be non-polar.

Additionally, if the polarization orientation isn't the same in both lenses, headaches might happen with extended use. This is one of Oakley's selling points over their competitors - they apply the polar filter to both lenses in a single step instead of each lens individually, ensuring precise uniformity of the polar orientation.

Uhh Fuzz, if you want Ruby Iridium lenses go to Oakley.com now and order em. I just ordered some this week. Get em while you can! They're going into my Carbon Juliets as soon as they show up!

Oh, I did order extra lenses last year from the US. Oakley Aus didn't have them on the website any more, but I had a relative order them for me on the US site. Picked up lenses for the Juliets and XS.

I meant I wished I had bought the x metal Juliets with Ruby lenses back then.

Latest Posts

Back