• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-metal Serial #

Superdave64

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
CANADA
Curious....from a newbie... why are some authentic x-metals available without a serial #? Are they in fact authentic? And if so, how much less desirable? Thanks

They stopped putting on serials at the beginning of 2005. In Juliet terms, that's known as "4th gen". Later they started putting on SKUs & frame size. In Juliet terms, that's known as "5th gen". They are authentic; you spot fakes by looking at other things. In general collectors tend to place higher value on serialed pairs, but overall it's pretty subjective.

Last edited:
hey, thanks for the quick and informative answer.... I've never really given it much thought but am looking to replace my recently stolen x-metals that I bought in 2001? They had a #

Thanks again
Dave

To me a plasma frame with a serial number such as JE023476 has an identity,it is a plasma/emerald Juliet and should have emerald lense a frame which has no number has no idenity , could be anything, I dont find that as interesting,I love tracking down rare serialised complete boxed examples, but as the man said very subjective.

To me a plasma frame with a serial number such as JE023476 has an identity,it is a plasma/emerald Juliet and should have emerald lense a frame which has no number has no idenity , could be anything, I dont find that as interesting,I love tracking down rare serialised complete boxed examples, but as the man said very subjective.
As @kronin323 says, very subjective. Personally prefer later releases as 1) should have potentially had less wear and 2) personally prefer the "shinier" Plasma finish than the earlier "rough" looking finish as they perfected the process.

Thanks. My next thoughts/questions after Kronin's response re: the serial # was did the #'s actually mean much/anything other than a generic/sequential ID. And with that, is there an associated premium that Oakley buyers are willing to pay. It would appear so.....thanks again
dave

Thanks. My next thoughts/questions after Kronin's response re: the serial # was did the #'s actually mean much/anything other than a generic/sequential ID. And with that, is there an associated premium that Oakley buyers are willing to pay. It would appear so.....thanks again
dave
Just the number that frame was. The prefix letters give the colorway info.

Series probably won't add any value unless they crazy low (2-3 digit) or a specific number in a set (one guy on here likes the number 13)

thanks qtrain... For now I'm not trying to be too cute or trying to make money/add value ... just looking to replace a wearable pair of xx that I originally bought years ago.

Latest Posts

Back