• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal Technical Sketch Available Soon

I'm confused.

Tommy made a "forged" Hans work for an O Store, it came into a collector hands (CarGuy), and Tim, another collector/enthusiast wants to do a reprint run of them? Does that about sum it up?

Does Tim have either Tommy's or Hans's permission to recreate and sell the art?

Also, not to nit pick, but that's not really a technical drawing.

What's the mark in the eye of the Juliet? Tommy's mark?

In order: yes (as instructed as part of his official duties), yes, yes, yes, I own the original that is license, OK, dunno, it may be but I didn't have the presence of mind to ask that question in that moment. Frankly I was enjoying the company; so many unique passionate folks in one place- Jim, Hans, Ringleader Del, Clark, Todd, Scott, Andrew, Anton, Aaron, GRF, Tim (on his sweet screamin' night hog), DrChop, PennyHoney, Buckeye Garth, The incredile X Man (who JJ asked for a business card), my man Carlos :D, Joben, Nicholas, shoot Qtrain too (almost forgot lol haha) and many more (sorry!).
JJ bought us 2 Coronas, endulged us in some small talk, signed whatever we asked, brought out Hans as a special guest, showed us a bitchin' video and bought us some street tacos. God strike me down. In Rome-speak, epic.
At minimum, forum-vouchered provenance aside, it is a really nice drawing of what many of us appreciate. If anyone likes it also I hope they buy one from a true Oakley brother and support the community.
edit: CARGO too, sorry Paul!

Last edited:
No, I get it, I wasn't calling you out or anything.

I wish I could have made it to RED, but that's another matter.

Just with all the stuff people put out, recasting statues, reprinting posters, copying other originals, etc, sometimes you gotta question things.

It came off a bit fishy when I read it after a long day. Not the provenance (though it looks as though I called that into question) more so the financial motivation behind copying a one-of-a-kind original for distribution. There are some in the community that don't look too highly on that sort of thing, especially if it's not on the up-and-up.

Not the provenance (though it looks as though I called that into question) more so the financial motivation behind copying a one-of-a-kind original for distribution. There are some in the community that don't look too highly on that sort of thing, especially if it's not on the up-and-up.
Thanks for following up! Actually Tim is a very vocal proponent of Intellectual Property rights and has been very vocal about that here on the forum. The Property here is my Property, acquired above-board with a statement from the previous seller that it was given to him by the store manager after a store re-set. Hans at the time was an Oakley employee (senior staff or management I presume but not an officer) and when he held it in his hands he did not feel the right or the need to seize the work- which probably have been within his purview. Jim wanted to buy it if it were real and if these guys felt that I did not have clear title when I was in Hollywood in Jim's studio I assume one phone call would have repatriated it.

As to the financial motivation again there is nothing in this for me. This is a project that Tim will do in his business and of course there will be some benefit. It will be Tim's to help grow his business that he just relocated. Will he get rich? I doubt it. Will it help his business incrementally? Yes. Will it be cheap? With one layer of profit-taking removed (me) and I expect it to actually be reasonable and of high quality. That's my hope.

be nice to have hans re-do another one
It sure would. For those that weren't there Hans said to me "I have some good news and some bad news. First the bad, I didn't do the sketch. I think I know who did by the work- it looks like Tommy's work. Now the good news, I'll do an original one for you; let's find some paper"
I asked him not to spend time there doing that running around the RED studio on an off Saturday looking for paper. I wanted him to enjoy himself and talk with other folks there and I didn't want to chew up more of his bandwidth so I gave him my business card and asked if he really wanted to do one to do it at his convenience and send it. That did not happen (yet) but shortly after (like the next month after) Hans left Oakley and joined Intel. I'm sure the transition of leaving the iconic :)rolleyes:) company that he helped build for another iconic company consumed his free time and maybe he lost the card. Or maybe he chucked it out the window on the way home or it got washed in his cargo shorts.Whatever.
The thought was very kind but having him join us, signing literally whatever was shoved in front of him, spending the afternoon with us and answering every question posed was plenty. A really nice guy, easy to talk to, a car/truck aficionado too and as down to earth and unassuming as anyone that you would meet.

Update:
This is not dead. Krank's hijacked thread ( :)) reminded me that I should update this.
I spoke with Tim a couple of weeks ago and he acknowledged that life has gotten in the way of this project a bit but that he intends to move forward shortly.
I sure understand that as I'm sure we all do. Whether it's a sick kid, a condo fire, whatever- stuff happens. He still has the sketch and though I really would rather it been displayed as a part of my collection for the last 5 months we agreed to let it play out a little longer.
Let's say that if nothing happens with this project by the end of the year then I get it back and do it myself.
Sorry for the delay but we all have day jobs and lives.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Update:
This is not dead. Krank's hijacked thread ( :)) reminded me that I should update this.
I spoke with Tim a couple of weeks ago and he acknowledged that life has gotten in the way of this project a bit but that he intends to move forward shortly.
I sure understand that as I'm sure we all do. Whether it's a sick kid, a condo fire, whatever- stuff happens. He still has the sketch and though I really would rather it been displayed as a part of my collection for the last 5 months we agreed to let it play out a little longer.
Let's say that if nothing happens with this project by the end of the year then I get it back and do it myself.
Sorry for the delay but we all have day jobs and lives.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Tthank you for the update! Happy Thanksgiving.

Back