• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal value /popularity 2030

Like most items I think they will be recreated and the original will be worth more. They are reaching collectable status 20 year mark is when most collectables thrive.. I have collected and sold items of value since I was 10. The more rare and complete they are the more value they will have. Lenses and rubbers will be there in some form or manner.. They have created more then just glasses they created a cult following witch tends to last

OK I gave a joke answer earlier, here's a serious one:

It's entirely possible that 15 years from now, original x-metals will be even more highly valued, especially complete LNIB sets.

On the other hand, what's more likely is the average used pair will have dropped in value, and the few remaining LNIB will have been hoarded be serious collectors and remain static.

Why? For one thing, right now a pair can be restored - x-man's doing tuneups, LG rubbers are available, OEM rubbers can still be found, lenses can still be cut. Will that still be true 15 years from now? If not, worn out pairs won't have much use. Or value.

More importantly, though, is that people move on - the next big thing comes out, people get tired of stuff and find other passions, technology advances, people die. The world changes. Maybe it'll take 15 years, maybe it'll take 150. But it's guaranteed that sometime down the road, nobody's gonna care about x-metals any more. Sad but true. The question is not if, but when.

Regarding collectibles as investments, here's a repost of my thoughts on the subject:

Collectibles, x-metals or otherwise, should not be approached as an investment. If you want to invest to make money, there are many, many better investments out there.

A collectible may appreciate in value, but it's a gamble - traditional investments balance risk and return: low-return investments are usually low-risk, while high-return investments are usually high-risk.

With collectibles, for a high return you really have to get lucky and get something at MSRP while it's still an available product (i.e. not discontinued) that ends up being highly valued after it's discontinued, and it's very hard to predict which items will do well. Buying a collectible after it's already been discontinued is usually low-return, high-risk - they've already appreciated to some degree and may or may not appreciate more, while they could also have already hit their max and even depreciate a bit over time. Who knows?

You should also factor in inflation - like with a savings account, it earns interest, but usually at a rate lower than the inflation rate. So savings accounts don't actually grow your money, you just lose it more slowly than you would if you stuffed it in a mattress. Can a collectible that's already appreciated continue to appreciate more at a rate higher than the inflation rate?

Collect because you have a passion for the item. If it happens to earn a return, too, then that's a bonus.

Invest in a mutual fund-based Roth IRA and/or a 401K with employer matching.
You would be correct if most people thought with their mind like you meaning logic . But a vast think with their heart where reasoning is abandoned. We are the ones now that will make them more collectable in the future as our kids may want to be like us wear or have somthing that reminds them of us.. Passion is passed down generation after generation

Hey Community! Im asking, what would be the value of a, lets say x metal Penny Ruby or Juliet (low serial) in the year 2030?! Will the still be popular?

Nope I dont think they will still be popular because:-

1) There will be a better pair of glasses. Not necessarily made by Oakley.

2) Glasses might not even be popular anymore as we move into hud like google glasses.

Still keeping my x metal ruby though lol.

Back