• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metal vs. Carbon Juliets

@freakface @THE X-MAN has me hooked on the idea of finding a junk frame for him to blast for me. I've got an extra set of lenses, why go for an expensive full set when hopefully I can get a frame he can work his magic on? Plus, the idea of making mods on the Carbons with different lenses is cool. The whole reason I started this thread was because I wanted folks to share their opinions and to sway me one way or another. I can always count on my brothers and sisters here at the forum to guide me down the right path and I think I've found it. I think keeping the Carbons and either going the junk/blast route or saving money for an X-Metal color way is the best idea.

So now that I have the idea of finding a frame for blasting; what would I even post in the exchange that I'm looking for?

I've tried to love the X-Metal finish over the years and just can't. I've always preferred Carbon for a couple reasons- a) it doesn't seem to blend into my face the way X-Metal does and b) it provides greater contrast for lenses. I tend to like bright lenses and if nothing else, Carbon boosts the red aspect of Ruby lenses and makes them pop more, giving a greater visual effect. But that's me- I know the X-Metal finish is highly regarded by many but I always found myself jettisoning it before any other finish.

i have an Xmetal/Ruby that Xman blasted and rebuilt. it was a frame i picked up off Craigslist with no lenses or rubber and a loose bridge. he brought the frame back to life and i bought some Ruby lenses off ebay. its like new and i love it!

34t1wg7.jpg

Well I'm biased but I think you should keep the carbon as others have suggested, save up, then buy one of these:

For Sale - Juliet Xmetal Black 1st Gen. US$425 | Oakley Forum
For Sale - Juliet Xmetal Black US$350 | Oakley Forum

;-)

I agree with others that you should hold on to the carbon. I often purchase a new frame finish in a burst of enthusiasm and then after the initial honeymoon period, start to have doubts, but I'll usually come back to it in time. Having both will allow you to select based on your mood, lens color, clothing, cap, on any given day.

Yup. The Carbons are staying in my collection for sure. I'm going to try to find someone with a "junk" Juliet frame and have X Man refinish it for me in time. I've got BI lenses that are unused since I bought some BIP so I'll put those in he refurb frame.

Back