• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal XX Gold - Thoughts?

IMO the 24k XX only looks too flashy on a shelf, but looks just fine when worn. I've never once seen someone with them on and thought it looked too flashy or out of place.

I'm running something similar - I started with Juliets as my only love but once I finished my short-term goal (which ended up at 9 pairs), I decided to "expand my scope" to the other x-metals. The plan is to first get one example of a frame style. With no shelf whores, I wear them. If they don't suit me, that's the only pair of that frame style I will get. If they do, I will likely get more. Though I still wear them, XS failed; my polished carbon / BIP will be my only pair, most likely. But my Mars Craters passed and I have plans to get two more regular Mars and do some customization.

There will be some exceptions - I've got my first pair of half X arriving today (polished / gold ir polar), but they will likely be my only pair regardless of how well they suit me - I'm too afraid of their reputation for hinges breaking to invest in more of them. And R2, since you can't do custom cuts for them, will likely stay at a single pair regardless of how well they suit me, when I get around to them.

And my scope expanded even further to some o-matters, strictly for practical purposes, to wear in situations where I don't want to risk my x-metals. I got two pairs of bottlerockets (the cheapest polars I could find) for yardwork / beach / etc, one in shallow blue for contrast and one in BIP for neutral. And I just got a pair of water jackets to avoid repeating the mistake that lost me my original pair of Juliets and eventually led me to this forum...

Depending on the gen they have their own appeal. The creamy orbital 1st gen, though you think is not as flashy, the contrast between the frame and the lens makes it stand oit more IMHO, but i like it cuz the orbitals look loke they were cut out of bone and connected with unfinished peices of gold. The 2nd gen ones actually are not as flashy as they seem on your face.

Back