• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal XX Model ?

Oakley-olic

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
SoCal
Is there a way to ell the difference, without a box, a XX 04-120 and a 04-144? The only note on o-review was the 144 stated Hydrophobic. Both are BI and X Metal finish.

I was also wondering about this. Is there a noticeable difference in the x-metal texture from the old to the new? When did they stop serializing the frames, towards the end of 04-120 production or are all 04-120 serialized? Do the older frame models tend to have more issues with fitting lenses because of dimensional variations?

Not sure with the lens fitting. I have several that I sold that fit tight in my 24k non serialized XX, but were too big in the customers frames. Now since it just let the machine figure the lens size, they all work perfect. So it is a possibility that 1st gen series XX's were a tad smaller. I have heard stories about Factory lens having sizing issues on both the xx and juliets. Also, repeated swapping lenses actually starts to bend the top part of the frame. Over time it is noticeable when a lens is not in it, and can cause fitting issues. Just what I have personally found.

Is there a way to ell the difference, without a box, a XX 04-120 and a 04-144? The only note on o-review was the 144 stated Hydrophobic. Both are BI and X Metal finish.

I had to revive this thread, because the question still stands. Is there a way to tell the difference?

I had to revive this thread, because the question still stands. Is there a way to tell the difference?

Yes, the model numbers are still on the inside of the earstems even after the serialization changed ceased- and not all 04-120 will be serialized but NONE of the 04-144 will have a serial number and the only reason it changed was they changed the box and coin and Hydrophobic lenses. The difference in finishes? That's a known variable with various finishes over the years- finishes have evolved and changed on a number of frames (most notably Plasma but also X-Metal). Best way to know? Ask the seller what the model number is etched on the inside of the earstem- that's the best way anyway, you never know when someone is matching an old box with new frame or vice versa

Yes, the model numbers are still on the inside of the earstems even after the serialization changed ceased- and not all 04-120 will be serialized but NONE of the 04-144 will have a serial number and the only reason it changed was they changed the box and coin and Hydrophobic lenses. The difference in finishes? That's a known variable with various finishes over the years- finishes have evolved and changed on a number of frames (most notably Plasma but also X-Metal). Best way to know? Ask the seller what the model number is etched on the inside of the earstem- that's the best way anyway, you never know when someone is matching an old box with new frame or vice versa

So, if I understand correctly, all serialized are 04-120 and non-serial could be either. I picked up one of each and I don't see a model number on the earstem of either one. Finish on the serialized seems slightly smoother and non-serial feels a bit rougher. Not sure if that makes any difference.

So, if I understand correctly, all serialized are 04-120 and non-serial could be either. I picked up one of each and I don't see a model number on the earstem of either one. Finish on the serialized seems slightly smoother and non-serial feels a bit rougher. Not sure if that makes any difference.

as far as serials, yes that's my understanding of the breakdown. Others can speak more assertively as to the finish, but in MY experience OLDER X-Metal finishes are rougher and NEWER finishes are smoother. Again...that's just been my experience.

No, serials stopped at the end of 2004 and after that the frames were completely unmarked. They started putting SKUs (model numbers) on frames sometime in 2008 but the XX were discontinued in 2006. So any unserialed, unboxed XX will have no markings and there's no definitive way to distinguish the two SKUs.

As mentioned, the difference is the hydrophobic coating, which can't be discerned via visual inspection. You could always test it by wetting the lenses, but that's still not definitive - perhaps the hydrophobic coating wore off. Or perhaps the kit was used to apply a hydrophobic coating after the fact. Or maybe the lenses were replaced. No telling for sure.

As far as finishes, I believe by the time they discontinued serials they had refined the casting and finishing process so there was little variation from then on out; the early finishes that are noticeably different from latter finishes were all from the serialed era.

Ok actually after a little more research I misspoke. You can tell the difference.

It turns out the 04-144 model was a re-release in 2009 after the original run had been discontinued in 2006. So the 04-144 WILL have the SKU markings on the earstem. And that's how you can tell the difference:

04-120:
serialed frames
unmarked frames

04-144:
SKU'd frames

There won't be any 04-120 with SKU markings.

Ok actually after a little more research I misspoke. You can tell the difference.

It turns out the 04-144 model was a re-release in 2009 after the original run had been discontinued in 2006. .
Yep, 04-144 and 145 (the 24k version) are in the 2009 catalogue.

Latest Posts

Back