• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X Metal XX Tune Up

kyle_2012

Oakley Beginner
So I thought a few people stated Oakley does not tune up X metal XX anymore. Well two weeks ago I sent mine in to them. They were in pretty bad condition (rubber was bad, nosebridge was slightly loose, and the screws and gaskets for the orbitals were shot). Well I recieved them back in the mail today and I would almost swear I got a brand new pair. New rubber, tight nosebridge, new gaskets everywhere, they mounted my new set of black iridium lenses (which I thought wouldn't fit in the frame when I originally purchased them). So anyways if you are wondering, they still do tune-ups on the X metal XX (and I think they did a really good job myself). Maybe it was just my luck with who I talked to in customer service but I am very satisfied!

what did they charge? I have an 8 year old (guessing as I cant remember) pair of X metal Juliets that could use some revamping.

Yeah I would recommend sending them to the x-man versus Oakley, he would probably cost half as much as Oakley. Oakley charged me $50.00 for the complete tune-up. The only reason I went through Oakley is because I purchased these recently on the forum (they came with new black iridium lenses not mounted) and those black iridium lenses did not fit (seems to be a common theme among these X metal XX lenses they have for sale currently). So I figured I would send the frame and new lenses to Oakley, have them tune them up and mount those lenses for me. If they sent me back a tuned up pair of XX's without mounting the brand new black iridium lense because they did not fit right, that would look pretty bad on their part. All I know is I am very surprised they actually came back as nice as they are (I figured it would take a month and I would recieve them back in a condition similar to how I sent them).

Hi Kyle, your definition of initial condition that the lens cannot fit is: is the lens too big that the orbital cannot close tight or is it the lens is too small that the lens might fall out.

Now tat after the tune up, the lens is snugly fitted.

You might wanna check either your lens, any tell tale sign of lens trimming or your frame orbital groove might be have been filled up some how which i have some experience in this area. If it is the later, you might have an issue with subsequent lens change, your orbital diameter is compromised.

Oakley charged me $50.00 for the complete tune-up.

Nice that they quit charging full tune-up price for the XX. For a long time you paid full price for a tune-up on a XX and got no rubbers or you got Juliet rubbers.

Like X Man I'm surprised they did it for you.

Yeah the lenses were actually too big (not by much, but just enough that I could not get the screws in the orbitals). As for the price on it, I was surprised too. But I did ask them to just put Juliet rubbers on them (the old ones were falling off so bad anything would have been better). I sent them a nice letter along with the actual glasses that detailed out everything I wanted done. The only thing I am still considering done is having them refinished (wink wink X Man) in either X-metal or Ti02 finish, but that might not be for awhile yet. All I know is I LOVE these XX's, I had a pair of Juliets which were ok, but these fit my head a lot better than the Juliets.

For my experience, oakley tune up will not last too much time on the nose bridge, my XX at least didnt. I sent mine to X-men and sold it like 2 weeks later without using but honestly the job that i saw from him is amazing.