• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metals as Eyeglasses?

Esscaster

Oakley Expert
Colorado
Hey All,

Decided to just use an old Plasma-framed pair of Juliets for use as normal eyeglasses. Anyone ever done this before? Would love to see pics of folks rockin' X-Metals as glasses. Thinking of just going to Visionworks and asking for lenses, but wondering if there were any online options (forum members maybe?) that DON't require me to send in the frame and can just cut some prescription lenses?

Was tinkering with the idea of using X-Squared but figured this will at least allow me to get some use of a pair of Juliets that hasn't seen much action lately.

Thanks all!

Someone with an expertise to this will show up i'm sure, but my two cents...

Depending on your prescription strength will determine how thick the lenses will be. With the 8 curvature frame, prescription lenses can become QUITE thick.

My guess is a quality pair of prescription lenses will be around $300, probably more with additional options.

With such a huge investment, sending in your frame is almost absolutely necessary for the perfect fitment. A reputable shop that understands the variation of a cast titanium frame would not do this without the frame in hand.

InfiniteHero would be your most logical go to beyond sending them directly to Oakley RX.

Lastly, I love and only wear Xmetal frames... but personally I would not want to restrict myself to wearing them for receiving the gift of vision. They're heavy and can be fatiguing to wear under some circumstances, especially non-hammerstem Juliets.

Ah Infinite Hero to the rescue again. He's hooking me up with some custom cuts for my R1s as we speak. I'll inquire for sure.

I guess the logic behind the whole thing is that I wear contacts most of the time and wear my X-Metals while it's sunny or moderately bright, or raining. Pretty much any occasion to wear them I'll find a reason to pull them out. I wear boring glasses at night or when it's raining or just when it's not comfy to wear contacts. Would love to show off their beautiful design on any occasion.

Thanks as always!

Very cool idea, I mean I bet they would look awesome as eyeglasses since X-Metals are a great metal frame, especially with clear/light tint classes - like Ti02 clear.

Hello, I would like to add to this conversation. I have been using Xmetals as RX glasses for 2 years now. I have the Juliet Carbon and XX Xmetal colorway on. I can switch to plasma frame or any other colorway, but as what DG85 has mentioned, you need to have the frame on hand to have the Optician make the right fit. I had one side of the lens shaved off when I transferred from Plasma to Carbon frame. As for the weight, it really depends on how long you have it on. With a baseball cap, I feel my ears hurt after as it pushes down the ear stems.
I get a ton of compliments on how they look so cool. My friends say i'm ready for squash or a tactical raid! The nice thing about them is if you look directly, you would think there are no lenses on the frame because of the curvature. I had one co-worker poke me directly on the lenses because she didn't believe me. lol!
My lenses however are not genuine Oakley made lenses. My optical was good enough to make generic ones.
I hope this helps. I don't know how to post pix! lol!

Also my vision grade is small, so the lenses are like OEM thin. I plan on having a Romeo 1 or XSquared done this year as my optician thinks he can do this. Lenses were $200 CAD for my vision grade. Oakley lenses would be $400 CAD.

I haven't done it in x-metal, but i did do it in a wire frame. The curve of the lens distorted vision depending on how you looked through them. I wasn't a fan of that. My prescription is at 20/220 and the lenses were kinda thick, so that might have had something to do with it. If the lenses are thin, you may not get as much distortion at the outside edges.

Mine doesn't have any distortion, due to the low grade. I didn't get any headaches or dizziness as soon I tried them on...so I am happy with this. I hope it works out for most of you guys who want to try. A Penny frame would be cool too! Just worried about the hinges after the long and constant use.

Back