• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metals devaluation due to customizing

The fact is that the Romeo1 iam thinking of recoating is only shades does not come with a box but it is serialized one.
Value will more than likely stay the same, but I'm sure there may be a handful of people on this forum that would pay you more because it's a fresh refinish job and has presumably been tightened...

The
Same my question for watches...would a ceracoted MM keep its value in comparison to the OEM one?
Same answer as the glasses...

Someone will see a cerakote MM and beg you to take their money...

Value is in the eye of the person with the wallet...

Generally bro an item thats has been molested lol looses its value compared to a mint or like new item.
Not 100% true...

That's true for more "exclusive" items such as a 24k Juliet, a IH Juliet, an Ichiro Juliet, Ducati XMetals and let's say the CSix...

I would never recommend taking one of the above mentioned frames and "customizing it"...

But if you have any other Plasma/XMetal/Polished XMetal frame, by all means, customize away...

I have an Anodized Fade Juliet that looks sickening, but it doesn't cost anymore or less than a regular Plasma Juliet...

I can sell it for $300 or someone can come at me with $450...I'm not selling though, so don't ask lol...

I *do* think my Polished XX is more valuable now than it was when it was XMetal, but that's just me...

Not 100% true...

That's true for more "exclusive" items such as a 24k Juliet, a IH Juliet, an Ichiro Juliet, Ducati XMetals and let's say the CSix...

I would never recommend taking one of the above mentioned frames and "customizing it"...

But if you have any other Plasma/XMetal/Polished XMetal frame, by all means, customize away...

I have an Anodized Fade Juliet that looks sickening, but it doesn't cost anymore or less than a regular Plasma Juliet...

I can sell it for $300 or someone can come at me with $450...I'm not selling though, so don't ask lol...

I *do* think my Polished XX is more valuable now than it was when it was XMetal, but that's just me...
I agree on some points, but if you changed finish on polished X squared you lose money/value . I think if you polish Romeo on ti with serial think value increases. if it's a Ducati frame if mess with that values drops. I think it is a frame by frame case I don't know how many people I talked to that changed their plasma Romeo to stealth or polished them witch I think is poor move, unless the finished was ruined anyways. If you have a plasma Xm X X leave it alone lol no matter what lol.

Last edited:
Not 100% true...

Well u dont have to agree with me, but the exchange section speaks for itself.

We are hitting 20 year mark on these. I think matching serail, boxed with pictures will bring the most money. They didn't know sunglasses would be collectibles. It's Oakley cult status that helps a lot . As the years pass they will grow in value slowly. The Only way they won't is if we quit wearing sunglasses. If economy goes in the toilet prices will drop as any collectable would, but will rebound like any other one would.

We are hitting 20 year mark on these. I think matching serail, boxed with pictures will bring the most money. They didn't know sunglasses would be collectibles. As the years pass will grow in value slowly.Only way they won't is if we quit wereing sunglasses. If economy goes in the toilet prices will drop as any collectable but will rebound like a y other one
OF COURSE mint or like new pairs matched with boxes always rack high value and we have seen that compared to a custom, re painted, even plated ones. You might say that i am the only one who has a rainbow skittles themed juliet??; but who will pay big bucks for those?? Definitely not me or even a hardcore collector would not find any value on them unless the person who owns them.

OF COURSE mint or like new pairs matched with boxes always rack high value and we have seen that compared to a custom, re painted, even plated ones. You might say that i am the only one who has a rainbow skittles themed juliet??; but who will pay big bucks for those?? Definitely not me or even a hardcore collector would not find any value on them unless the person who owns them.
I give plated up value for non rare frames. It's as the years progress that will change. Just think collecting in the same way of old cars same principle will apply.

Here is the way I see it.....

If you have a PERFECT BNIB pair of shades and are concerned about resale after customizing them.....DO NOT DO IT.

Find yourself a worn pair that you can give new life to and go crazy with whatever you want to do to it with no concern about what the value could be when you are done with it.

This way your perfect pair stays as is and is untouched....value can be determined as it is a perfect pair.

The "beater" pair you have has been revived to something cool and maybe desireable to even someone else....maybe...just maybge it even gained value in someones eyes.

Problem solved. Am I wrong?

Here is the way I see it.....

If you have a PERFECT BNIB pair of shades and are concerned about resale after customizing them.....DO NOT DO IT.

Find yourself a worn pair that you can give new life to and go crazy with whatever you want to do to it with no concern about what the value could be when you are done with it.

This way your perfect pair stays as is and is untouched....value can be determined as it is a perfect pair.

The "beater" pair you have has been revived to something cool and maybe desireable to even someone else....maybe...just maybge it even gained value in someones eyes.

Problem solved. Am I wrong?
Yes , but "DO NOT DO IT" thats what she said hahahahahaahah

Back