• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Metals devaluation due to customizing

i wouldnt really refinish frame woth matching box,i did it las year and soon or later you will regret it cuz the value of the juliets i did went up like crazy(polished/blue)even i bought them very cheap back then.....
on other hand i got really cheap R1 glasses only from ebay beat up as f**k the worst condition of the early Ti frame....and i sen them to X-man refinish in x metal an im sure they are worth much more than 350 i payed for worst condition R1

The fact is that the Romeo1 iam thinking of recoating is only shades does not come with a box but it is serialized one.it is just that i ve seen recently Romeo 1 polished and matte blacks that keep their value and i was wondering what affect will that action will have to their prices during the period of time
Same my question for watches...would a ceracoted MM keep its value in comparison to the OEM one?

Custom Frames ----- Value is ONLY to the eyes of the buyer, the seller doesn't count (usually thinks they are worth more due to costs). If the frame is not less than 5k serial, boxed, matching serial to box and/or a Limited Edition then its value is not that great. So changing a plasma or x-metal frame into something you like go for it, then if you want to sell $75 or so will get it back to the finish OEM for you. Romeo 1, unless its MINT then go for it and enjoy. Change to something OEM when your done if you like to sell.

Watches --- I don't think anyone on here has tried to sell their customized MM or other yet. I am getting ready to release x2 Minute Machines done in X-Metal and Copper Plating for me and one customer. Likely due to rarity will possibly increase a used version higher but not anywhere to the point of a BNIB version. Maybe not at all and the customizing cost would be lost.

We all know with cars in selling them, the seller always thinks theirs is worth more than someone elses that is JUST like theirs. Also when someone customizes their cars the customization is usually personal value, Buyers typically wont pay extra for them, but will take them if it comes with it. ALOT of times customization of items devalues it, due to reducing the perspective market.

Just keep this in mind. IF a customer wants a Custom cut polarized pair of lenses its $140 plus 5 to ship. If I speculate and buy the same pair, cut to lets say Romeo1 and sell in the forums, I wont get $110 out of it. So I don't do that. If someone wants it, they will pay for it, but if its something just to have, then they will pay less.

I think ANY customization not made by the factory will decrease the value of the piece. Ok, I'm not talking about artists making official work in a piece, no, I'm talking about amateurs or enthusiast trying to personalize colours, shapes, lenses and stuff like that. Don't get me wrong, nothing against the artesian job of an enthusiast but that is what it is after all, if not sanctioned by the author, factory or maker, then it will decrease value. Just my .02

I think ANY customization not made by the factory will decrease the value of the piece. Ok, I'm not talking about artists making official work in a piece, no, I'm talking about amateurs or enthusiast trying to personalize colours, shapes, lenses and stuff like that. Don't get me wrong, nothing against the artesian job of an enthusiast but that is what it is after all, if not sanctioned by the author, factory or maker, then it will decrease value. Just my .02

Kinda ------ This only applies to regular normal frame in like new no marks and perfect lens condition, ie..... and not limited editions, special ones like the JC or Browns.
Customer (A) has a Juliet that is worth $300 with OEM lenses and box (plasma lets say)
Customer (B) has a Juliet with Walleva lenses and rubbers and a box (plasma) ---- Price is worth ONLY the frame so $200
Customer (C) has a Juliet with OEM lenses , a box, and Linegear rubber kit ----------Price is same as factory $290 due to not totally OEM
Customer (D) has a Juliet with LineGear lenses and rubbers -----------Now since there are no OEM lenses from Oakely being sold the value for this would be up to the buyer, should be only a small drop in price, maybe $25-45 but not a real loss like other lens manufactures which is a total loss
Customer (E) has a Juliet w/ OEM custom cuts and a box --------- No change in retail price, its still a Oakley lens.

A customized Black or colored frame, that has all OEM items with it and is like new w/ box would likely be close to OEM price. One with custom cut OEM lenses might be a tad higher than OEM price, but again that would be up to the buyer if it was worth it. Likely you would get OEM price out of it and take a loss on the extra you spent to get it customized. However a OEM frame, colored, w/ OEM colored rubber and OEM cut lenses might demand more due to rubbers being OEM colored are not cheap.

Hope that makes sense, with prices dropping and fluctuating its hard to tell. But never expect to customize a frame, then sell and get your money out of it or make money, it wont happen

Kinda ------ But never expect to customize a frame, then sell and get your money out of it or make money, it wont happen

Exactly. I just sent Mark two frames in the last week. Both beater first gen polished steals on craigslist. One went plasma, the other matte black. Now all said and done I'm still in the ballpark of a 6/7 of 10 pair on ebay, except show me a plasma or matte black frame with hammer stems in the $200 ballpark. And the big difference, these are for me to wear daily until the day I die.

Exactly. I just sent Mark two frames in the last week. Both beater first gen polished steals on craigslist. One went plasma, the other matte black. Now all said and done I'm still in the ballpark of a 6/7 of 10 pair on ebay, except show me a plasma or matte black frame with hammer stems in the $200 ballpark. And the big difference, these are for me to wear daily until the day I die.
Can't ever go wrong with X-Man... Wear 'em proud bro!

I must say I really like the
X-mans X metal refinish he did on my beat up R1....I feel the finish is more ''grainy'' comparing to OEM x metal finish on R1.....
On juliets I prefere the oem x metal finish...but the X-mans R1 is absolute killer,it also looks bit flatter and with non iridium lenses it looks pretty badass...will post pics later :)

Quite the interesting topic...You can look at that in a number of ways, but in the end, it's a matter of what someone is willing to pay. For example, an X Metal Mars was a piece hard to even get break even money out of for a long time, but take one to a jeweler and have it polished, and you could double that figure easily. So sure, there is a place for each piece. But, just like any custom out there, you almost never get your money back, and custom is how I feed my family. It's generally NOT that it's bad to customize, it's personal preference. But it's also about availability of things, or lack there of, and desire to have a certain look...Like the Atmos or blends. Now take a $50 frog and clean it up, you will make money, but molest a $250 limited piece, and you will lose. It's all relative. But you also don't buy a rare Ferrari and swap it's numbers matching power plant for a modern engine. To refurbish a pair that is perfectly good but has seen better days, may not increase it's value, but certainly shouldn't kill it, but again it's relative to who may or may not be looking at acquiring it. The XX below is an example of a pair that would probably have increased in value seeing as how it was pretty much history. The factory 24k coating was literally flaking off. A quick rub with a thumbnail and away it went...She has seen better days, but now has a new lease on life and is fully wearable. Lenses are still toast, but the frame is new again.

View attachment 201071
View attachment 201072
View attachment 201073
View attachment 201074
View attachment 201075

Back