• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X metals vs. ..

When I first saw the available x-metals in 2000, I really liked the design, size, coverage, and fit of the Juliets. Because of the price, it took me a while to save up and get my first pair. Fast forward 13+ years, while I have 1 penny, 1 Mars, 1 XX, few XS, and some Juliets in my daily rotation, I will wear juliets 99% of the time.

Each metal has their own strength; Romeo was the first of these cutting edge designs and will always be #1 for me; Juliet has proved itself throughout the lifespan of 'proper' X-Metals and has probably sold in greater quantities than any other; Penny has the best sculptural qualities and would be more successful if it was made in a Juliet size; Mars is a beast all of it's own - it is too small like the Penny but I do find them quite addictive...; Romeo II should have been JulietII (nose bridge style and lens coverage) but the Juliet didn't need upgrading and the R1 did; X-Squared was bought out when they had time to develop and factor out design flaws of previous models. Half X was just an excuse to add to the range and will probably come out behind Madman/Badman if they were to be included in any poll. For me though, R1 all the way!!!

Juliet and Romeo 1.0 will always be on top, very very close is the Penny (thank God for my small face), X Squared and then the Badman.
As much as I find Mars and Madman a work of art, it just don't look nice (ie. good) on it. XX is just a bigger Juliet, and I'm not really into half rims but the Romeo 2.0 looks nice than Half X.

But I'm still wishing in the stars I could own a least one of each. So far it is 5 out of 5, a measy 50% batting average:lolsign:

There was a pretty recent poll, and it showed Juliet as the overwhelming majority favorite. I voted XX in that poll, but I did not have a Romeo at the time. My opinion has now changed to Romeo 1 followed by XX as a close second.
I apologise. I hadn't seen that thread. My mistake.
I will say though. I did try on the bad and madman. And didn't really care for them. They didn't have that industrial forged metal look that I I've about the x metals. I haven't seen a mars, Romeo 2, half x, penny or even an xx. So my experience is limited .

Thy certainly all have their own strengths. From a design perspective, aesthetically, i would say it is the R1, XX/juliet, XS, Penny, Mars, R2.

When I was younger and "thinner" it was Juliet -> XX -> R1
Now that I am "thicker" it is... R1 -> XX -> Juliet

So much so that I used to wear only my Juliet and now I never wear them and never wore my R1s and now almost exclusively wear them but trade between my PB Trons and XX

The R1 by a large margin. Even if my head could accommodate the juliet the R1 is on a completely different level and will always be King of the metals.

When I was younger and "thinner" it was Juliet -> XX -> R1
Now that I am "thicker" it is... R1 -> XX -> Juliet

So much so that I used to wear only my Juliet and now I never wear them and never wore my R1s and now almost exclusively wear them but trade between my PB Trons and XX

I'm finding myself in that predicament.
I was fine with Juliets when younger and just very recently until I tried on R1.

R1 makes my face thinner--- normal. Lol
Juliets makes my face a bit more chubby noticeable--- still within acceptable margin though.

Back