• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X-Squared restoration

OakleyFeind

Oakley Beginner
Hey guys! I'm new to forum.

I recently dug out an old pair of x-squared x-metal Oakleys from a moving box I hadn't touched in years. I had cast them aside due to scratched lenses and being tired of having my vision obstructed. Imagine my shock when I saw them going for $5oo+ on ebay... Holy smokes. BUT, they're in rough shape. So...

I'm wanting to do a full restoration on them myself, I'm not concerned about tackling this project as I build guitars and other custom instruments professionally, and have a background in machining and welding. The stops that prevent the ear stems have worn, causing the tips to scratch the lenses when folded. Has anyone else patched these with a TIG? I'll include photos below.

My concerns are: Will powdercoating the frames affect the value if I want to sell in the future?
Also: Is the ear stem problem common and are there accepted ways to repair it?

Thanks guys!

2qk73au.jpg

oj1bug.jpg

2ytsltk.jpg

n5j81g.png

Hey guys! I'm new to forum.

I recently dug out an old pair of x-squared x-metal Oakleys from a moving box I hadn't touched in years. I had cast them aside due to scratched lenses and being tired of having my vision obstructed. Imagine my shock when I saw them going for $5oo+ on ebay... Holy smokes. BUT, they're in rough shape. So...

I'm wanting to do a full restoration on them myself, I'm not concerned about tackling this project as I build guitars and other custom instruments professionally, and have a background in machining and welding. The stops that prevent the ear stems have worn, causing the tips to scratch the lenses when folded. Has anyone else patched these with a TIG? I'll include photos below.

My concerns are: Will powdercoating the frames affect the value if I want to sell in the future?
Also: Is the ear stem problem common and are there accepted ways to repair it?

Thanks guys!

2qk73au.jpg

oj1bug.jpg

2ytsltk.jpg

n5j81g.png
Customizing will always affect resale value... But so will condition and accessories included...

@THE X-MAN is a qualified frame restorer (among others) and he can most likely fix whatever problem your frame might have and refinish it in a style you'd like

There are also qualified lens 'choppers' (@dr.chop @xmetalmaniac ) who can either cut you new lenses to replace the old ones or even a brand new colour.

You can also check eBay or similar site for lenses...

Customizing will always affect resale value... But so will condition and accessories included...

@THE X-MAN is a qualified frame restorer (among others) and he can most likely fix whatever problem your frame might have and refinish it in a style you'd like

There are also qualified lens 'choppers' (@dr.chop @xmetalmaniac ) who can either cut you new lenses to replace the old ones or even a brand new colour.

You can also check eBay or similar site for lenses...
ya, you want black, here's satin
View attachment 132623

you want a lil different feel here's camo
View attachment 132624

old school 24k (he had new lenses to stick in em)
View attachment 132625