• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

X squared... with something not quite right?!

jdd32

X Metal Workshop
Sydney
So I recently found myself another pair of X Squared and I can't help but notice something odd about it. In particular, it's the hinge section of the left orbital frame. All my x metals never have the issue of an arm striking the inner lens when they're closed up, but this XS does this crazy feat of self destruction?!

I had a closer look and appears the metal tab on the inner orbital is missing where it serves the purpose of blocking the arms from closing too much and striking the inner lens. Has anyone seen this issue before? I thought it's wear and tear but looking at the different shape of the cut out for t-shox, i'm starting to think it may be a faulty casting issue.... or that I got myself a fake?

I'll load some pics shortly.

edit: pics up:
DSC_3685.jpg

DSC_3710.jpg

compared to my other XS carbon I had lying around:
DSC_3711.jpg

Last edited:
So I recently found myself another pair of X Squared and I can't help but notice something odd about it. In particular, it's the hinge section of the left orbital frame. All my x metals never have the issue of an arm striking the inner lens when they're closed up, but this XS does this crazy feat of self destruction?!

I had a closer look and appears the metal tab on the inner orbital is missing where it serves the purpose of blocking the arms from closing too much and striking the inner lens. Has anyone seen this issue before? I thought it's wear and tear but looking at the different shape of the cut out for t-shox, i'm starting to think it may be a faulty casting issue.... or that I got myself a fake?

I'll load some pics shortly.
fake would be unlikely if that is the ONLY red flag, ya know? since you have others you cN easily eliminate that. is it possible that it os just loose or worn down? i personally have seem that frequently for beatup XS and other metals.

From what I can tell, that is the only red flag. I've weighed it, checked all screws, and everything appears legit. Heck if this is a fake it's a bloody good replica down to random location casting pits on the frame...

Still, I can't think of a logical reason how the metal tab can be sheared by the hinge.. unless someone grabbed a knife and butchered it?!

I had a set of polished that did that. I got them from someone in Craigslist and I would say they abused and did not care for them when allowed them to do that.

I'd thought that's a likely cause as well, but then I can't hep but notice how nice the carbon finish is - no scratches. It's not like it's been touched up or refinished. And then I thought of the scenario of perhaps the previous owner sat on them (I'm guessing it needs quite a fair bit of force to strip that tab from the arm closing. But if they did sit on it, the left orbital must have caught the full brunt of the force?! Still, one thing that irks me is the shearing of the metal down into the t-shox which is a fair bit of distance from the rotating arm...

I guess I've never looked closely at an XS ear tip, but those look wrong. Are they supposed to look like Juliets? Just the tips I mean.

Its not fake. Guessing by the good shape if the frame, it either was ground off for some reason, or it came from the factory with that defect. But there is no way that thing is fake, and the arm tips are right.

I guess I've never looked closely at an XS ear tip, but those look wrong. Are they supposed to look like Juliets? Just the tips I mean.
The tips on the XS ear stems flare out if that's what you mean. While it's a telltale sign of a fake for other metals it's how they came on the XS.