• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

XMetal Exchange Trade etiquette

Using escrow just complicates matters for me. I'd expect both parties to ship simultaneously rather than in turn based on their feedback.

Hmmm, maybe just as well I am more or less a buyer only, this trading lark seems complicated!

Another way to manage a risky trade is to use paypal for insurance.

Basically, y'all agree that the items being traded have a certain value, for this example let's say $300 each. You both paypal G&S each other $300. Because you're both sending the same amount, there's no need to refund after the trade is completed, it washes out. But that way if either party doesn't come through, the plaintiff has a G&S transaction to claim against. The only real cost is the 4% fees.

So basically it's like buying insurance for the cost of 4% of the value.

Excellent.

Only concern I have is that PayPal Japan where I am may not have the same insurance coverage as the U.S. and E.U. It may but I just don't know and there are a few notable differences such as no F&F options, for example.

But for most, the above seems like the best method I've heard so far.

Reading PayPal guidelines it seems that buyer protection only applies to items purchased via eBay ... Is that right? If so, that's a further complication.

Reading PayPal guidelines it seems that buyer protection only applies to items purchased via eBay ... Is that right? If so, that's a further complication.
I don't believe that can be right. Someone else can confirm for sure though....if that is right then what is the purpose of G&S vs. F&F anyway?

I don't believe that can be right. Someone else can confirm for sure though....if that is right then what is the purpose of G&S vs. F&F anyway?
I mis-read and you are right:

'PayPal Buyer Protection is a form of protection that we provide for buyers with a PayPal Account. It is available for buyers that make purchases on and off eBay through their PayPal accounts worldwide.'

On and off eBay.

Lots of small print eligibility criteria however that I haven't read ...

Basically, y'all agree that the items being traded have a certain value, for this example let's say $300 each. You both paypal G&S each other $300. Because you're both sending the same amount, there's no need to refund after the trade is completed, it washes out. But that way if either party doesn't come through, the plaintiff has a G&S transaction to claim against. The only real cost is the 4% fees.

So this is the winning suggestion on trade safety and a lot less hassle than staggered shipping based on trade rating or third party delivery. Unless I'm missing something ...

Hopefully this thread will be useful to other newbie traders. I learned a lot. Previous trades I just shipped in good faith and based on the high calibre and moral standing of the average forum member here!

Hopefully this thread will be useful to other newbie traders. I learned a lot. Previous trades I just shipped in good faith and based on the high calibre and moral standing of the average forum member here!

Having been 'kicked in the b@lls' by a well know Modder, I'd say it's best NOT to go on principals alone.......

But couldn't both parties claim, thus you still end up out of pocket?

Back