• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Xmetals In 2015?

Pish posh. Keep overpaying for cnc'ed carbon fiber. ;)

Something about saying "these were born in a plasma arc furnace" that doesn't get old...
I don't own any carbon pairs, though a C6...

Anyway, my point is just that casting has been discontinued. It's a technology that is being moved away from for several reasons. Cling to it if you must, but don't rain on the parade of what is coming next when all you have is little more than speculation.

If they don't cast it, that's fine, because they can CNC it. If it's no longer titanium, THAT'S where I draw the line between "new and innovative" and "bastardized LUX atrocity attempting to ride on the success of the X-metal name, a product line they had no hand in originally creating"

Whilst I think Oakley will come out with a new line of higher end glasses made with more exotic materials than O matter, I doubt if its going to be called X metal, have a trade mark X nose piece with no obvious 'O' icon.
I also wonder if it will have such out of the box styling like the X metals- I fear it will have to be more mainstream to shift in numbers Lux would want.

^ It does seem rather unlikely that they would prepare a product for market unless they were confident they could get the mainstream numbers they would want from almost any high end pair.

It won't be called X Metal or be made of X Metal, it will be another Lux item slotted where they don't currently have a product.
It will simply be another product in their vast line of products.

They will not be CNC'd, that is for sure. Much too expensive to CNC production glasses. I would be willing to bet that we see some powdered metallurgy going on, pressed in a 2000 ton press, baked in a furnace for two hours, and hand finished. Take aluminum orbitals and put carbon arms on them and that is my prediction for the future of X.

Who cares?...

I care. If the product is made overseas, at presumably less cost, then holding quality constant (humor me), the retail price should be cheaper, because cost of manufacturing is less. Personally knowing how greedy LUX is, I am confident in asserting that this will NOT be the case- prices will either stay the same or increase, the "X-metals" will be made overseas, and quality MAY decrease.

And if LUX and Oakley didn't care about the public's perception regarding where their product is made, why would they emblazon "Swiss Made" in such large, prominent lettering on many of their watches?
4e83739613d46.jpg

And if LUX and Oakley didn't care about the public's perception regarding where their product is made, why would they emblazon "Swiss Made" in such large, prominent lettering on many of their watches?
Knowing the origin of a watch's movement is a whole different can of worms. When Oakley got into watches you wouldn't be taken seriously if you had anything but Swiss movements.

Having the movement origin on the face is still an industry thing with watches.

Latest Posts

Back