• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Xmetals In 2015?

I care. If the product is made overseas, at presumably less cost, then holding quality constant (humor me), the retail price should be cheaper, because cost of manufacturing is less. Personally knowing how greedy LUX is, I am confident in asserting that this will NOT be the case- prices will either stay the same or increase, the "X-metals" will be made overseas, and quality MAY decrease.

And if LUX and Oakley didn't care about the public's perception regarding where their product is made, why would they emblazon "Swiss Made" in such large, prominent lettering on many of their watches?
4e83739613d46.jpg

the mm (time tank) was released before LUX took over Oakley. Your argument is invalid.

I agree it's standard, but why so prominently? My Omega watches have "Swiss Made" stamped so small that you have to squint to see it, and those watches are arguably more respected than Oakley's watches from a timepiece collector's perspective. Fact of the matter is, Oakley/LUX WANTS you to know where their watches originate, because they KNOW Swiss watches are respected.

Why would they use very small lettering to label their chinese frames "china" rather than "Made In China" like they did in large lettering with their "Made in USA" frames? Simple- they aren't proud of it, because the country of origin is no longer a selling point.

the mm (time tank) was released before LUX took over Oakley. Your argument is invalid.

In what way? It simply proves that Oakley is (was) proud of where that watch came from.

And concluding that an entire argument is invalid because you perceive one detail from it as false is a logical fallacy, specifically, argument from fallacy.

Last edited:
More subtle, yes, but still not on the level of an established watch manufacturer that doesn't have to try so hard. It's obvious they're trying to ride the "Swiss Made" train, and that's fine. It just bothers me they can play into where the product is made so heavily with respect to watches, then shy away from it with their overseas frames.

but still not on the level of an established watch manufacturer that doesn't have to try so hard
Go look at the vast array of automatics from established watch makers that use Chinese movements like Parnis and Sea-Gull. Both respectable. No one would let you know theirs is Chinese... or worse yet their own copy of a Chinese movement.

Welcome to business. You advertise features that will make your product sell more.

And the fact of the matter is that there is a very widely understood stereotype of China producing junk. So who on earth would advertise their stuff is MIC? Or Mexico, or most any other non-Japan Asian country, or South America, or Eastern Europe? The "Western World" produces the desirable commodities.

The same reason the oft-compared Apple touts something about its origins being California on most devices, and hides the part about China.

Aren't many Sea-Gull movements simply ETA copies? If a company's product is made in China, and that company is proud of the product, why not advertise that it's made in China to dispel the stereotype of those goods being "junk", especially when they actively embrace the origins of their other products (namely watches)? Otherwise, they're silently acknowledging that Chinese = junk, true or not.

They have to not only embrace the Chinese manufacturing, but empower it. Read the difference:

MADE IN CHINA

Proudly Made at Oakley International Manufacturing, Dong Guan City, China

Granted, it's a lot to put inside the arm, but it is a sign that China is not the devil to Oakley. Print it on the boxes and put "Made by Oakley in DGC" on the arm.

3D printing in titanium is now possible. It was announced in December 2013 and by February 2014 a mountain bike frame was printed in TI. I have suspicions this is why Oakley ceased production of the casting process, foreseeing the near future. Casting is difficult, expensive, hazardous and time consuming. 3D printing is none of those. Yet, part of what makes these glasses so sweet is knowing the risk that goes in to manufacturing them.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Worlds-first-3D-printed-bike-2014.html

Japan is heavily investing in it:
http://www.geek.com/news/japan-gets-serious-about-3d-printing-using-titanium-1589923/

p4pb10612593.jpg

Latest Posts

Back