• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Xx Or Penny?

Joshua yates

Oakley Beginner
Just wanted to get your current thoughts on wether I should go or xx? I really want Romeos but I feel that won't happen anytime soon but seen a few good value xx and pennies. So which would you guys choose? I'm looking at value and style. Because I would like to own all of them but not tried either on so if I get them and don't like them I may put them up for trade with carbons to get a pair of Romeos if money doesn't allow me to buy straight out. So value wise which is higher value and style wise which do you hold in higher regard for looks.
Cheers, Josh

First thing to consider when thinking about the Penny frame is how large or small your face is. The Penny is a very small frame and due to the hinges they don't do well being stretched onto heads larger than they were designed for. Without knowing what your collection is like, if you have a pair of Juliets that fit "just right" or are a little small, chances are a Penny would be too small for you, at least for regular use.

XX. Ive noticed theyre a little harder to find rite now, so get one while u still can for reasonable prices rite now.

Yea I was thinking that, but not sure which way would fit better. I only have juliets at the mo and there is about a finger width under the orbital to my face. So I don't know if a smaller frame would be better or wether the larger xx to get the frame down closer to my face. Or is the curviture not significant enough to do that and the penny the better option. Upon looking at the xx they don't look that good. It's the tio2 and orbitals look a little beaten up.

I find a the penny go on looser and are not as uncomfortable on the sides of my head compared to a new Juliet with 15 temple shocks. The spring hinges make the penny very versatile. The coverage is smaller though, and some faces might look odd with small frames in the same way as large frames can look odd on small faces.

For sheer looks I think the Penny with possible the Romeo 1 are the best looking xmetals.

Yea I was thinking that, but not sure which way would fit better. I only have juliets at the mo and there is about a finger width under the orbital to my face. So I don't know if a smaller frame would be better or wether the larger xx to get the frame down closer to my face. Or is the curviture not significant enough to do that and the penny the better option. Upon looking at the xx they don't look that good. It's the tio2 and orbitals look a little beaten up.
I'm sure lens curvature is identical on all X-Metals (8.75 base curve). Someone please correct me there if I'm wrong.
Small nose bombs instead of large will bring the frame closer to your cheek bones if you feel it's sitting a little too high...unless you've already got small fitted of course.
Which XX is it you are looking at where you feel the orbitals look beaten up (could be an early Gen1 where the Plasma finish may be flaking off)?
There's good advice here from everyone when it comes down to the fit, so take that on board when deciding.
It's true though about the availability. For some strange reason XX's seem to have dried up a little over the last few months, particularly if you're looking on ebay.co.uk and prices have reflected that. Spread your search to "worldwide" to cast the net further. X-Metal exchange on the forum should give you more realistic prices though.
I agree with @Typhoon on styling. Once you've gone past the Juliet, Penny and Romeo 1 are, I personally feel, the best looking.

Back