1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. markh

markh Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

I have an xx Juliet in x metal, I was contemplating sending it to x man for a Cerakote black finish. What effect would this have on resale ? the serial number would be obscured wouldn't it ? but as I do not have the box, coin etc would it matter,any thoughts ?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Funky-Trixtar

Funky-Trixtar Me ,some time ago............. Premium Member

The result would be a Matte Black, the resale value would be reduced but the Serial Number wouldn't be obstructed. I believe the X-Man said he leaves an Serial No on the Glasses unless requested otherwise.

3. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

When you fill out X-Man's order form, there is a check-box option for you to choose whether or not to preserve the serial.

But it doesn't really matter because once you refinish it, the serial's pretty much meaningless.

In general OEM finishes have more value than refinished, assuming the OEM finish is still in pretty good condition. But the difference can be pretty minor, depending on how popular the particular refinish color is. The important thing is to realize that customization typically doesn't increase value...

cyclerdoug likes this.
  4. THE X-MAN

THE X-MAN Forum Sponsor Gold Forum Sponsor Premium Member Lifetime Member

I think the serial number just proves that they're legit after refinishing

5. THE X-MAN

THE X-MAN Forum Sponsor Gold Forum Sponsor Premium Member Lifetime Member

If the finish is really nice, I always try to talk people out of refinishing them

erap and discostu like this.
  6. cyclerdoug

cyclerdoug Oakley Expert Premium Member

I don't think of XMetals as investment grade. I think refinishing if needed is a great idea and if not needed just save up and get another pair. I don't really "do" anything to any of my Oakleys with future resale value in mind. If that was my first consideration I wouldn't even wear them!
    Keep in mind what @kronin323 said.. Value will not be increased by refinishing (rule of thumb). They're yours and you chose the right craftsman so you know the job will be done as good as it could possibly be done. Do what you like!

7. Hellmut77

Hellmut77 Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

Just got mine back , they are awesome . @THE X-MAN doesn't tuck around . His work is top notch and professional just like you see all over the forum . I was really happy when I saw them . It's unique , classy and the color combos are limetless

XX refinish ? - image.jpeg

8. Elvin Foo

Elvin Foo Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

They look absolutely beautiful!

9. #1 Stunna!

#1 Stunna! Oakley Expert Premium Member

****ing sick bro!

supersharp likes this.
  10. markh

markh Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

Increasing the value was never a thought, I just prefer dark frames, I was thinking more along the lines of preserving the make, keeping the originality for future wearers, may sound a bit weird but like my camper, a 75 bay with 23000 on the clock, I didn't modernize anything, everything completely original. In terms of provenance a van compared to a pair of sunglasses may seem a bit of a contrast, its not about the value or size of the item, but the item itself.

cyclerdoug likes this.