• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

XX refinish ?

markh

Oakley Enthusiast
Premium Member
I have an xx Juliet in x metal, I was contemplating sending it to x man for a Cerakote black finish. What effect would this have on resale ? the serial number would be obscured wouldn't it ? but as I do not have the box, coin etc would it matter,any thoughts ?

The result would be a Matte Black, the resale value would be reduced but the Serial Number wouldn't be obstructed. I believe the X-Man said he leaves an Serial No on the Glasses unless requested otherwise.

When you fill out X-Man's order form, there is a check-box option for you to choose whether or not to preserve the serial.

But it doesn't really matter because once you refinish it, the serial's pretty much meaningless.

In general OEM finishes have more value than refinished, assuming the OEM finish is still in pretty good condition. But the difference can be pretty minor, depending on how popular the particular refinish color is. The important thing is to realize that customization typically doesn't increase value...

I don't think of XMetals as investment grade. I think refinishing if needed is a great idea and if not needed just save up and get another pair. I don't really "do" anything to any of my Oakleys with future resale value in mind. If that was my first consideration I wouldn't even wear them!
Keep in mind what @kronin323 said.. Value will not be increased by refinishing (rule of thumb). They're yours and you chose the right craftsman so you know the job will be done as good as it could possibly be done. Do what you like!

Just got mine back , they are awesome . @THE X-MAN doesn't tuck around . His work is top notch and professional just like you see all over the forum . I was really happy when I saw them . It's unique , classy and the color combos are limetless

image.jpeg

I don't think of XMetals as investment grade. I think refinishing if needed is a great idea and if not needed just save up and get another pair. I don't really "do" anything to any of my Oakleys with future resale value in mind. If that was my first consideration I wouldn't even wear them!
Keep in mind what @kronin323 said.. Value will not be increased by refinishing (rule of thumb). They're yours and you chose the right craftsman so you know the job will be done as good as it could possibly be done. Do what you like!
Increasing the value was never a thought, I just prefer dark frames, I was thinking more along the lines of preserving the make, keeping the originality for future wearers, may sound a bit weird but like my camper, a 75 bay with 23000 on the clock, I didn't modernize anything, everything completely original. In terms of provenance a van compared to a pair of sunglasses may seem a bit of a contrast, its not about the value or size of the item, but the item itself.

Back