• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

XX Tune Up?????

Dmburke42

Oakley Enthusiast
Oneida, TN
I am wondering if I really do need to send my XX's in for a tuneup, first off not excited about 3 weeks without glasses. Second, I'm not sure if I need it. The right side is a little looser than the left but it doesn't droop on your face, nor click when you kindly shake. As mentioned in other threads, this is my first pair of Xmetals so I don't have a standard to go by. I also just replaced all the rubber with Oakley root beer set. I am already buying lenses (black iridium) and I hope I'm really happy with them! I am happy the shipping isn't outrageous from Oakley! The only thing I didn't replace is the temple inserts. When can you tell they need replaced? I wish Tennessee had a place you can go and drop them off and 15 minutes later wah- lah!! You guys are lucky!

Sending them in for a tuneup will definitely help, but at almost $80 and +3 week turnaround, i would only do it if it was flopping around. You should be fine for a while. But also considering that the current X Metal line has already been discontinued, no one knows how much longer Oakley will be servicing them. There are people that have been able to take the nose bridge apart, but information on that tends to not get shared for whatever reason. They're just rivets that get pushed in from the back of the bridge. To push them out, you COULD use a narrow punch and a hammer to lightly tap the rivets out from the front, but your run the risk of scratching/damaging something.

I was in TN a month ago and there's a Oakley Vault at the Opry Mills Mall. Not sure how far you are from Nashville. If all you need is temple shocks, call Oakley Customer Service and asked them for some. The ones from the Juliet will work. They should be able to send you a set for free. You could also inquire about black earsocks for your XX too. The Juliet ones will also work.

I wish you could have them just fix the nose bridge because everything else is good, or just send you the stuff to fix it and let you know how! I seriously think I could fix it myself if I just had the gaskets or whatever you need! Because everything else is perfect! I will call Oakley about the earstems! Thanks for the info about oprymills, I didn't even know they got it reopened!

Well awesome news, called and they are sending me the temple shocks for free! I tried to persuade the guy to send me the rubber gaskets so I could do the nose bridge myself but with no luck! Just wish if all you needed was the nose piece fixed they would just price that!

No I didn't want to sound Greedy I guess, plus they are all brand new, so hopefully I won't need them for awhile. I know someone on here has some insight on how to fix the nose bridge on your own...too many smart people on here.

I tried to persuade the guy to send me the rubber gaskets so I could do the nose bridge myself but with no luck! Just wish if all you needed was the nose piece fixed they would just price that!

A. If replacing the flex coupler were that easy EVERYBODY on this site would be doing their own.

B. If your XX's need any tightening you might want to consider sending them in now. Tune-ups for the Penny is no longer done domestically and the XX tune-up is already beginning to follow suit. If you call US warranty service they will most likely tell you that they cannot do a tune-up on XX's. They are already out of nose bombs for the XX and rubbers replacement is part of a tune-up so they say that they don't do XX's anymore. But if you work them a little bit they will set-up a tune-up for full price and you will get a tune-up minus nose bombs. But they won't give a 2 minute warning on tune-ups, once they are done they are done so if you feel that they would benefit from a tune-up I would do it sooner than later.

C. The wait? I sent 4 pair (2 juliets + 2 XX) in last month that were received on the 26th. Towards the end of the week last week I had some correspondence with customer service and they may be done this week so call it a month turn-around. One pair they said that they could not do because some tabs inside the flex coupler on the orbitals were bent and they don't re-bend them. This is due to to the fact that bending them back takes the temper out of them and weakens them. These were the ones that I was going to kick down to you, Rustpot. Sorry.

When I spoke to the CS guy he said a tune up was no problem at all. I asked him if I sent them in, in a couple of months, would that be alright and he agreed that it wouldn't be a problem at all. Wish I knew someone who lived that close to HQ I could let them take it in and have that quick turn around I have read about lol

When I spoke to the CS guy he said a tune up was no problem at all. I asked him if I sent them in, in a couple of months, would that be alright and he agreed that it wouldn't be a problem at all. Wish I knew someone who lived that close to HQ I could let them take it in and have that quick turn around I have read about lol

I guarantee this CSR has no idea how many XX flex couplers they have in stock and how long they will last.

A few of us, myself included, has taken X Metals in for other members. I would offer to help, but it's rare i get to go down to HQ. Oakleyandi, FearGearGarage, and V2KJokerz seem to go quite often. I know there's others, just can't remember off the top of my head.

Back