• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Your Favorite Rares And Whats Overhyped

my opinions? the Blends are the main overhyped pair. maybe it's due to the fake there are tons of fakes out there by now, and that just spoils it for everyone.

best pairs would be an endless list. =) but on my top shelf, besides the APs, are a few of the favourites, MODA3, Berrics, DQM and Primitive. the reason they all command such a high price are down to rarity for sure. but to me, the underrated pair/duo in my humble opinion are the Grips duo, the B-1B and Cult/Empire. that they came with grips were a cool added bonus, and the side design, simple but awesome to me. =)

someone mentioned pics?

p1020448c.jpg

interesting that the thread title is "your favorite rares and whats overhyped" suggesting 'anything' and yet most posts so far gravitate towards frogskins! hahaha. maybe it's the fashion over recent years, or that the model is sooo geared to try to collect them, or the sheer number of ultra limited pairs. there is no other model with 100+ pairs with so many issued in such impossibly low numbers aimed at a collectors market. are they over hyped anyway? what about some of the seldom mentioned pieces, the 150 pair grenade with 'all the bits and pieces', who ever talks about the 1st oki-ni? where do you hear about the bloc party frogskin? or the chandelier frogskin? hype tends to come from demand leading to huge prices, created by the fact Oakley made many in microscopic quantities, if you then add in a real cool piece, they become big collector pieces, eg blends, berrics, dqm. The 3 EB cannot be made from other pairs (sorry Atmos Please?), but not much good is said about them anyway, but issued in 6, 7, and 10 quantity? how rare can it get? when i have worn the 24k pair it seems the world stops to take a look! the thing about frogs is the playful childlike charm, the character, the somewhat 'cheap' 'free inside a packet of cereals' feel, the variety of frames and the collector allure. Personally, i would like to see them stop, i think enough have been made, but if/when the curtain comes down, the demand could go up, then you may see some serious hype. remember, no more than 6 people (EB 1, 6 pairs) can own the complete set, and i very much doubt anyone does anyway. My favourite pairs? there are just too many awesome ones for me to have a top pair. i agree with jono about fakes spoiling things, you have to be real careful about blends and valentine's now, and also the cult and b1b are incredible pieces. i wonder what some of these will be worth in say, 1000 years time?......and a blends frogskin has just sold to a Russian buyer for £6.5 million!! oh, by the way, i forget to mention anything about any other glasses!

interesting that the thread title is "your favorite rares and whats overhyped" suggesting 'anything' and yet most posts so far gravitate towards frogskins! hahaha. maybe it's the fashion over recent years, or that the model is sooo geared to try to collect them, or the sheer number of ultra limited pairs. there is no other model with 100+ pairs with so many issued in such impossibly low numbers aimed at a collectors market. are they over hyped anyway? what about some of the seldom mentioned pieces, the 150 pair grenade with 'all the bits and pieces', who ever talks about the 1st oki-ni? where do you hear about the bloc party frogskin? or the chandelier frogskin? hype tends to come from demand leading to huge prices, created by the fact Oakley made many in microscopic quantities, if you then add in a real cool piece, they become big collector pieces, eg blends, berrics, dqm. The 3 EB cannot be made from other pairs (sorry Atmos Please?), but not much good is said about them anyway, but issued in 6, 7, and 10 quantity? how rare can it get? when i have worn the 24k pair it seems the world stops to take a look! the thing about frogs is the playful childlike charm, the character, the somewhat 'cheap' 'free inside a packet of serials' feel, the variety of frames and the collector allure. Personally, i would like to see them stop, i think enough have been made, but if/when the curtain comes down, the demand could go up, then you may see some serious hype. remember, no more than 6 people (EB 1, 6 pairs) can own the complete set, and i very much doubt anyone does anyway. My favourite pairs? there are just too many awesome ones for me to have a top pair. i agree with jono about fakes spoiling things, you have to be real careful about blends and valentine's now, and also the cult and b1b are incredible pieces. i wonder what some of these will be worth in say, 1000 years time?......and a blends frogskin has just sold to a Russian buyer for £6.5 million!! oh, by the way, i forget to mention anything about any other glasses!

Theres a guy in the forum here name " Tmsnewberry" Who has all the EBs and 4 APs. He is the boss when it comes to frogskins.

I do agree though that its all based on what people talk about that generates excitement. Everyone hated deuce coupe but loves B1b. Same concept old frame with a little design on the side.

Theres a guy in the forum here name " Tmsnewberry" Who has all the EBs and 4 APs. He is the boss when it comes to frogskins.

Yes I agree, I think Tmsnewberry is boss when it comes to Frogskins, 4 AP is stratospheric! I'm not doing too bad though, I also have all 3 EB among the 112 gen 3 pairs in my collection, with just 5 more to go to complete the whole set.

Romeo, it ls in the frogskin thread, that's why. I think you understand what I mean about making the ebs its pretty easy. You could do it too

I don't see how you can get the white frame (that does not GITD) with white logo, without an arm stamped part code for the EB1, or an etched left lens with non part coded white arm (and microbag) for the EB II, or the white non coded arm (& labelled box) for EB III. You could create similar, but not an exact EB and pass it off as a genuine original.

if i can make a pair for 200 that looks exactly the same as a 1300 dollar pair from the outside minus a sku, thats close enough for me. I imagine if I bought a pair of matte white I could remove the sku with very little trouble. You could always pay for the etching that could be done for very low cost. It means forgers could very easily be reproducing them. I think they aren't because they don't grab peoples attention like the golds or blends which get faked. The bottom line is whether or not I can make them its essentially frankenfrogs out of left over parts in the oakley warehouse with a little twist. Doesn't justify the large cost or desire in my opinion. The 3ds are a bit different as those lenses would not be easy to get and they look pretty sweet. The other 2 are BLAH in my opinion. Thats all this is, opinion. I know some will disagree but when I saw the eb with the etching go for around 400 on ebay last year, I never once thought of dropping that kind of coin on a pair I don't like.

Yes I agree, I think Tmsnewberry is boss when it comes to Frogskins, 4 AP is stratospheric! I'm not doing too bad though, I also have all 3 EB among the 112 gen 3 pairs in my collection, with just 5 more to go to complete the whole set.

Thank you. But if you have 112 of the gen3 thats pretty awesome. I wish I was that close to having them all, I just get distracted by artisit series to easily.

I have to say the MODAs areone of the sweetest pair ever made. I know they are just splatter paint but they are flippin awesome.
I love the primitives also like Jono luckily I finally have a pair coming to meand should get them in the next week or so.

this "argument" could potentially go on forever. i totally understand what both RVF and AtmosP are saying. and i agree with both to a certain extent. to some like RVF, to have the absolute complete pair, mint condition is a big Must. for me personally, i'll think twice abt getting a pair without the box. to me, a complete set means with the box and the right label on them. unless the pair sold w/o a box like the Fragments. so i totally know where RVF is coming from.

but with that said, AtmosP is right, in that to majority of others out there, the final product is what's impt. i know countless of folks out there, who put together the Matte Black/Fire colourway the moment the re-release frogs came out, with the matte black frame. are they the original matte black/fire pair with the proper SKU? nope, but no one will be able to tell the difference unless they specifically look for the SKU printed inside. i personally have seen someone wearing an "EB III" over here. and i'll bet every Frog i have that it was a Frankenstein-ed pair. did he care that it wasn't an original EB? i'll bet a big fat No. did it irk me to death? hell yeah. but who am i to judge? "one man's meat is another man's poison" as the saying goes. =)

i personally don't fancy the EBs much at all. i have passed up chance to get the EB IIIs abt 3 times now. i have been tempted for sure, who the hell wouldn't want to be 1 of 10 people in the world to have them right? but i just don't fancy them that much. total respect goes out to RVP and tmsnewberry for sure. never in my lifetime will i be able to equal their collection!

bottomline is, as collectors, we will always have our personal likes and dislikes, but i always felt, whatever tickles your fancy personally, that's the direction you should head. and i for one, will never judge. =)

and now, let's get the thread, back on track! \m/

Back