• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

1st Gen M-Frame - Cracks In Frame

BenOBrien

Oakley Beginner
I was wondering what Cracks in the frame, or cracks where the arm connects to the frame, would do to the value of a otherwise mint pair of 1st Gen M-Frames, From what I've seen in past auctions, and from others experience owning these glasses, it is common for them to have cracks in the middle of the frame, and cracked arm connections, but of course that hurts the value.

I recently bought a "No scratch, No Wear" pair of 1st Gen M-frames on ebay, and the listing looked great and the pictures looked good too, The actual item description was "You are viewing a Perfect condition NO scratch pair of Oakley M frame 1st generation Sweep glasses with black iridium lenses 100% UV protection. These glasses have no wear to them and includes Oakley hard case. Also will include FREE shipping first class delivery. "

But when I got them, I noticed right away the cracks in the arm connections, I brought them into sunlight and also noticed 2 cracks in the middle of the frame, one vertical right in the center, and another one more horizontal down the frame toward the center. Also ,the lens is near mint, without scratches, but has dozens of specs or tiny dots that aren't visible when looking though them, but you can see them on the other side and they don't clean off.

Now, After providing them photos of the damaged areas, the seller claims he inspected the glasses and the cracks weren't there when he listed them, He does not accept refunds and stated he will not accept them because they were not cracked when he shipped them and now he doesn't want them, Either way, they are cracked now, and the cracks can't be undone, He's gotta refund me something, what should the seller refund? I bid top dollar on this pair because he described them as perfect, no wear, but it turns out they are just like the ones I have avoided bidding on since i started looking for a pair. I'm no expert appraiser But I assume a mint pair to be worth $200, because I have bid on very good condition, minimal scratch pairs that ended at $100 - $150, some sellers are asking $300 for a new pair of 1st gen M-Frames but those auctions don't sell, I still think $200-$250 is top dollar for new condition 1st Gen M-Frame unless you had something special like splatter M-Frames new in the box.

I'd like to keep these M-Frames if I can get a partial refund, But I would rather return them for a full refund, I just seen another pair with the same crystal frame and a spare lens go for $125 and free shipping, so i assume I should ask for $100 Back? That seems excessive, but the seller failed to describe them as they really were, making them sell for much more than they are worth.

The listing is visible here:
Oakley M Frame Sweep 1st Generation Vintage RARE Sunglasses 100 UV | eBay

Even tho he said no returns, as long as you bought them through PayPal you can do a claim and get your money back! It doesn't matter what the seller says. You did not receive what he listed

eBay's policy differs from his. You can return them if you open a case.

Personally if they're for display I wouldn't mind a few cracks. If you're looking for a pair to wear there's definitely an issue. If he knows M Frames he purposefully left the info out and took photos at angles and resolution to not let you know about the damage. On a pair that is likely to be cracked I ask for pics of the hinges and better resolution that allows zooming.

Value is a hard thing to pin down, but it looks like you've done your research. Like you mentioned, there's a wide range of prices especially considering you've got a mix of people selling a pair that's been in their closet for years, or a pair they beat to hell but think is just fine, and collectors asking max dollar no matter what. Not to mention the people that see a similar pair for $300 and think their scratched, cracked pair is worth as much since it's the same thing.

Also, not sure if that's an older Medium case, but it's definitely not a correct case for the pair. I'm not very familiar with the mediums, but my first inclination with a black logo is it's fake.

16837464910_2ce0a65a94_b.jpg

16838783999_7271bdc6ff_b.jpg

17024129311_8bb508ce5b_b.jpg

^ Here are some photos of the M-Frame.

Latest Posts

Back