• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

1st Gen Plasma / Titanium restoration

jdd32

X Metal Workshop
Sydney
The first gen plasma/titanium coatings are unique but unfortunately are prone to tarnish/yellowing, black stain corrosion, and eventually getting rubbed off into a polished/sheen patches. My previous approach of restoring these frames had addressed the yellowing and about 90% removal of black stains but had limitations with addressing rubbed off polished/sheen effects. So after spending a great deal of time R&D on addressing this issue, the new approach delivers much better results of restoration by addressing all 3 problems. Here's some Ti finish frame half done to clearly show the before/after.

Ti_before.jpg

Ti_after01.jpg

Ti_after02.jpg

Ti_after03.jpg

The first gen plasma/titanium coatings are unique but unfortunately are prone to tarnish/yellowing, black stain corrosion, and eventually getting rubbed off into a polished/sheen patches. My previous approach of restoring these frames had addressed the yellowing and about 90% removal of black stains but had limitations with addressing rubbed off polished/sheen effects. So after spending a great deal of time R&D on addressing this issue, the new approach delivers much better results of restoration by addressing all 3 problems. Here's some Ti finish frame half done to clearly show the before/after.

View attachment 181667

View attachment 181668

View attachment 181669

View attachment 181670

Are you going to share how you restored them? I for one would love to know.

David

Are you going to share how you restored them? I for one would love to know.

David
It's a 2 stage process with multiple steps.
First stage is removal of yellowing and black stains using chemical mixture sourced from my friend's lab.
Second stage is a multi step process of recoating the Ti or Plasma finish (again made at the labs) to address areas of sheen. This stage is the breakthrough however it's not yet perfected. The mixture is not as durable as I'd like them to be so more R&D is needed. They don't rub off in the general sense but if you go gorilla at it, it can rub off like the original coating

It's a 2 stage process with multiple steps.
First stage is removal of yellowing and black stains using chemical mixture sourced from my friend's lab.
Second stage is a multi step process of recoating the Ti or Plasma finish (again made at the labs) to address areas of sheen. This stage is the breakthrough however it's not yet perfected. The mixture is not as durable as I'd like them to be so more R&D is needed. They don't rub off in the general sense but if you go gorilla at it, it can rub off like the original coating

thanks for sharing. if i only wanted to remove the discoloration (part 1), what chemical mixture is needed?

the stuff i use is custom made concoction and not off the shelf materials. There are other ways to remove black stains but they're very aggressive and you end up losing a lot of the original coating. For what I charge which is $30 for light to moderate restore job and double that for a heavily plagued beatup pair, it's not worth the hassle and risk of destroying the coating that no one can yet recreate 100%.

Back