• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

2014 College Football Season - now for 2015!!!

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
I know there's been some sports discussion on the "what's your favorite team" thread, but I thought it best to create a new thread for any comments people want to post about this year's season instead of cluttering up the favorite team one.

If someone else wants to create one for the NFL season, be my guest. But let's keep this one about college ball.

a&m vs. South Carolina - wow, who saw that coming? I mean, other than a&m fans... but they're constantly under delusions of grandeur and even a broken clock is right twice a day...

I just don't know if a&m was underrated or S Carolina overrated... Don't say "both"...

Of course, as I write this it's still late 3rd quarter and SC just scored a TD to make is 45 - 28. So who knows, there's still plenty of football left to play. But otherwise it looks like the writing's on the wall for this one...

Texas A&M looked good last night. Their new QB, Hill is legit. He broke Johnny Football's School record for completions and passing yards in his first start.

A&M still has to play bama. Il hold judgement til then. Oregon to the playoffs for me.

I'm interested in seeing how bama does against West Virginia this weekend. WV isn't supposed to be good this year so this should be a no-brainer. But how bama performs against them could be an indicator of the rest of the season...

UW Huskies fan here, ugly first game against Hawaii. I don't expect them to compete for the Pac 12 title this year, but I do expect them to be competitive in most games.

With my case-pickup-7-hour road trip on Sat I only watched two games - normally I watch 3 - 12 games, in part if not in whole.

The main game I watched was one most of you probably didn't - UT vs. N. Texas, score 38 - 7. First year with new UT head coach Charlie Strong; how will he do?

The Good - Defense. It sucked last year. Not this game. It was really a defensive shutout - the only N.Tex TD was our offense fumbling in our endzone and their defense falling on it. But last year it was good in game 1, too; it was games 2 & 3 that showed the problems. And we play the same teams again this year, games 2 & 3. So we'll see. But what I didn't see was missed tackles, which was last year's problem.

The Bad - Offense. Yeah, 38 points, some nice run and pass highlights, but N.Tex are relative powderpuffs and, from what I saw in gameplay, that won't cut it against the big boys. QB is still a question - Ash hasn't completed a single season without getting knocked out by injury, including his High School career. It's more when, than if. And our QB depth is not good; there's talent in 2nd & 3rd strings but a big gap from 1st.

The Ugly - Offensive line. Not good enough. There were plenty of questions about the O line before the season; all are relative rookies as starters except the senior center. Who went out with a high ankle sprain in the 2nd half. And our offensive output crashed after that.

The other main game I (mostly) watched - Florida St vs. Oklahoma St, score 37 - 31. Great game. OSU has been a recent power in the Big 12 but was expected to drop off this year. But I think they did an outstanding job against the defending Nat'l Champs, and made Jameis look ordinary. They hung in there until the end, even had a chance to win it, down by three when they threw an interception. And they still didn't give up. They're on our schedule and that one might hurt. Among others...

Games I didn't see but wished I had:

Alabama vs. W. Virginia, score 33 - 23. Tighter game than it should have been, both teams under / over performing, respectively.

Wisconsin vs. LSU, score 24 - 28. Man, it looked like LSU was gonna get handed their hat, but they came back and took it.

Clemson vs. Georgia, score 21 - 45. Don't get fooled by the score, it was tight until the 4th.

Arkansas vs. Auburn, score also 21 - 45. Looks like @GH4AU had a great day...

Nice write-up @kronin323. I had a fantabulous day while watching Auburn dominate that second half. I was a bit worried throughout the first half, but we pulled it off.

Ash hasn't completed a single season without getting knocked out by injury, including his High School career.

Arrgghh, that didn't take long. Texas QB Ash is out for this week's game against BYU with "concussion-like symptoms" and his entire future is in question. For those that don't know, it was a concussion that knocked him out for the season early last year.

So now we got a Sophomore QB who's barely played starting, with a true Freshman backup.

Including the senior center, the two most vital offensive positions where we lacked experienced depth both got knocked out in game one. This could be a long season...

Latest Posts

Back