• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

2017 R3 Release Has 2 New Holbrook Models

It looks like R3 will finally be expanding one of the most important frames in Oakley history.

Holbrook R (OO9377)

This one is what it sounds like, a round version of the iconic Holbrook, but with a twist. I've been told it will have curved stems, but it will also don the Ellipse O instead of the Square O we all know and love.

Holbrook Mix (OO9384)

The Mix is a little more intriguing since it will have the same O Matter front as Holbrook, but stainless steel stems like Holbrook Metal. However, it will also have the Ellipse O.

Both will be available in 8 different color schemes.

Sounds like a reduction of the Sliver with the Holbrook to carry on the same coverage and frame shape options. I don't know if the Sliver is being discontinued, but why a R version now?

Sounds like a reduction of the Sliver with the Holbrook to carry on the same coverage and frame shape options. I don't know if the Sliver is being discontinued, but why a R version now?
Nah, Sliver is still in full effect and won't be going anywhere. Now, a Holbrook XL would be sweet since the Sliver has that as an option. Expanding Holbrook was long overdue, but Oakley never really completely embraced the curved stems. Reason being is that it is a lot harder to claim Holbrook has the 3 point fit with curved stems, hence the reason they made Sliver with Straight stems and the new Holbrook Metal with straight stems and pretty much everything else in OMatter except for a select few. As I was told once by a designer at Oakley, the look of Holbrook isn't very Oakley, meaning the frame itself doesn't have a lot of tech into it. There is nothing that "special" about Holbrook in terms of design on an Oakley level, but it fits awesome and they sell a few 100,000 units of it every year. I wear it a lot.

Plus, we have seen and will see even more of the popular models coming out in the R or Round style. Its an easy addition even though it never sells well -- Sliver R, Crossrange R.

They lost me with the introduction of the HB Metal... looks like I'm gonna be at a loss with the new releases as well. Curious to see how the changes look though.

From what I was told, they are bringing back and re-doing Holbrook styles because they are no longer contracted with Shaun White. He designed the Holbrook and was getting a cut from every glass that was made/sold, so now that he is gone they are bringing it back with new versions since they don't have to be paying him anymore per glass.

From what I was told, they are bringing back and re-doing Holbrook styles because they are no longer contracted with Shaun White. He designed the Holbrook and was getting a cut from every glass that was made/sold, so now that he is gone they are bringing it back with new versions since they don't have to be paying him anymore per glass.
Oh wow. I had no idea that he designed the Holbrook.

I was told about the Holbrook Mix, the pic I saw was ugly. I wouldn't want my name connected to that lol... Looked like a MPH. I guess that's what they were going after.

Anything with a round frame is definitely a nonstarter for me. Yuck.

I like the Holbrook Metal that launched earlier, looks nice and classy, despite that ugly icon.

Looks like any Holbrook buys will be the older versions.

Sent from Q's S8+

Back