• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

2020 US Presidential Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for America. Curious to see the data behind minority groups that are still under the median though. What's the correlation between those individuals and their educational background.

I know a large percentage of our Hispanic community does not end up pursuing higher education so they can help their parents bring in more income for their families. How can we provide more opportunities for lower-income students to become successful and not fall back into the lower bracket? Though it is good to see poverty rates dropping.

View attachment 789825
When did I suggest that?
See your above post, note the bold.

Do Hispanics not have the same access to 'higher education?' Is there a specific policy that is preventing Hispanic people from attending college?

See your above post, note the bold.

Do Hispanics not have the same access to 'higher education?' Is there a specific policy that is preventing Hispanic people from attending college?
Oh I see. It's not that higher education is inaccessible due to policy or inequalities...moreso that their families are dependent on their income to pay the bills. We have students that go to school from 8-4, then immediately work late ships from 5-2 AM sometimes to help their families. As educators, we sometimes default on "they are lazy, falling asleep in class, etc", without really understanding what is going on. I don't know how we can help them, since we can't just hand them money/checks. I just wish there was something we could do to ensure that these kids lose out on future opportunities.

That's also why we partner with local manufacturing shops to take some of our students in that cannot afford to go to college or need to stay home to help provide for their own families. Higher education isn't always necessary if we can provide opportunities directly out of high school, but these are pretty slim at the moment.

My statement was not a political one...just thoughts

One of my clients is communities in schools. Its a program that helps kids at risk with support and even money and food.

Oh I see. It's not that higher education is inaccessible due to policy or inequalities...moreso that their families are dependent on their income to pay the bills. We have students that go to school from 8-4, then immediately work late ships from 5-2 AM sometimes to help their families. As educators, we sometimes default on "they are lazy, falling asleep in class, etc", without really understanding what is going on. I don't know how we can help them, since we can't just hand them money/checks. I just wish there was something we could do to ensure that these kids lose out on future opportunities.

That's also why we partner with local manufacturing shops to take some of our students in that cannot afford to go to college or need to stay home to help provide for their own families. Higher education isn't always necessary if we can provide opportunities directly out of high school, but these are pretty slim at the moment.

My statement was not a political one...just thoughts
I understand what you're getting at, but it ultimately ends up being a cultural issue. Government can't legislate away cultural deficiencies or legislate into existence better cultural practices. Opportunity exists for everyone, some take advantage, some don't.

@the_owl is right too, there are many more opportunities for minorities and lower income people vs white people, and/or wealthier people. That's because of government intrusion into what should be free open markets.

It's just a way of life for some ethnic backgrounds to study and take school work serious; others not so much. Government can't change that. People have to do that, and throwing money at it certainly isn't the answer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back