• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

2023 transitions question

Overkill

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Denver, CO
Hello! I am trying to decide between a pair of black iridium lenses and clear to black iridium transitions lenses. Searching the forum and other places gives a few different answers on transmission numbers so I thought I would ask to get the straight answers for the black iridium transitions lenses currently available from oakley in 2023.

My use case is for these to be full on non polarized rx sunnies but get light enough to be able to see indoors without taking them off. Think going to a street festival but stopping inside shops and restaurants.

I believe that the current clear to black iridium transitions lens is the one listed as "Clear Black Iridium Photochromic Lens" on this guide:

The transmission numbers from that guide say 10%, Faded: 66%. So if I understand right, when they are dark they should be just as dark as the regular black iridium lenses and when they are light they should be roughly like wearing persimmon lenses indoors which is light enough for me.

I am wondering about the iridium coating. When the transitions lenses are all the way dark, are they as dark and mirrored as the normal black iridium lenses? Is looking through them like looking through normal black iridium lenses? If so I'm inclined to go with transitions lenses, if not i'll just get black ones and squint indoors lol

thank you!

They won't be as dark as black iridium. Some oakley stores have black lights on hand to darken up the clear to black iridium lenses for you if have one nearby that can have you show you a comparison.

In my experience fully dark photochromic/transition lenses get as dark as regular grey, if not a tad bit lighter, they're nowhere near as dark as black iridium. Even with the iridium on the lens

If you know its not going to be a cloudy day for go the transition lenses, good all arounder, other wise go for the black irdium fam. That's just my 2 cents though.

thank you! by chance have you tried any of the transitions gen 8 lenses? i tried gen 7 and was unimpressed. i just got a pair of signature gen 8s and the lenses that get all the way clear get dark enough to be decent sunglasses here in CO. If Oakley is using that tech now that might be why these current transitions lenses are rated to 10% while the older ones weren't.

i should have a uv flashlight in a few days and will go visit the oakley store! then i should be able to compare for myself and will report back

Last edited:
thank you! 10/22 should be gen 8 i think. the mirroring actually looks pretty strong when activated although the lenses don't seem to be getting as dark as the 10% oakleys

Hello Oakley Hive! Today I took a UV flashlight to the Oakley store and did the experiment.

First conclusion, the current clear to black iridium photochromic lenses get really dark! in the store it was noticeably darker than the sample black iridium lens:
IMG_0149.jpeg

Second conclusion, when darkened, the lens is not nearly as mirrored as the black iridium lens, which is a bit of a bummer. In hindsight, i should have held the oakley lens disc above the black shirt to let more light in behind it.

IMG_0145.jpeg

I hope this helps anyone looking for info on these lenses!

Back