• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

3.1 Megatower question

IntenseImage

Oakley Enthusiast
Looking for my first display and found one local that is missing the lock and key for the lower storage. Is this a part that can be replaced easily? Also in the pic I was sent, it shows a clear back panel. Others I have seen are white. Is the white just vinyl or was this panel replaced?

The locks are easy, Home Depot for about $5. They're in the hardware section. They all have the key number on them, however many locks you need, I would get all the same key number, it will make your life easier lol

The back being clear is no problem either. On the inside of the back panel is a white foam board panel. It may not be foam board but it's something similar. The owner just took it out. You can have anything cut to fit as long as the thickness matches. You'll have to wait to see what it needs, all mine are in and I can't tell like that. Alternatively you can just leave the back like it is unless you hate your wall color. I think that's what @OakleyFrankFMJ did but he like his walls.

Several people have had things printed to go on the back panel. Like the Oakley technical drawings of the X Metals. @Dyeraudio @xmetalmaniac I think one of these guys did this.

Congrats on your first case!

The locks are easy, Home Depot for about $5. They're in the hardware section. They all have the key number on them, however many locks you need, I would get all the same key number, it will make your life easier lol

The back being clear is no problem either. On the inside of the back panel is a white foam board panel. It may not be foam board but it's something similar. The owner just took it out. You can have anything cut to fit as long as the thickness matches. You'll have to wait to see what it needs, all mine are in and I can't tell like that. Alternatively you can just leave the back like it is unless you hate your wall color. I think that's what @OakleyFrankFMJ did but he like his walls.

Several people have had things printed to go on the back panel. Like the Oakley technical drawings of the X Metals. @Dyeraudio @xmetalmaniac I think one of these guys did this.

Congrats on your first case!
Damn

You remembered I took all my white panels out? :twitch:

Yeah I did it cause my walls are all stone and pretty and sparkly and pretty and cool and pretty

Damn

You remembered I took all my white panels out? :twitch:

Yeah I did it cause my walls are all stone and pretty and sparkly and pretty and cool and pretty

Lol, no idea how I remembered that. I can only hope it's a Jeopardy question one day. The scary part is I almost said "he did it because his walls are pretty"

Picked her up today ... Needs a little work (and major cleaning) but nothing too major it seems.

Can anyone share some info on the lighting ... The halogens work and appears to have a new inverter installed however there is another inverter up there w clipped wires to the fluorescent bulb. Need to fix this.

Also, are there LED kits available for these to swap out the halogens?

For $160, I certainly can't complain!

f9c329d47d43b7060673fcd4034c99c1.jpg

e07c8d5a39ce57f7ef01507832c31d1b.jpg

Definitely not a bad deal. I paid a hell of a lot more for my first one. I had a thread a while back about restoring the lights in one of these, I'll try to find it.

The ballast on the side controls the fluorescent lights and the little inverter controls the halogens. The halogens are hot as hell and I didn't want all that on my case so I changed them all to LED. A lot of people here have gone that route. Home depot sells the LED inverter for about $14. The bulbs are on ebay cheap, some people here have the original LED bulbs for sale and I think they are of better quality than the chinese ebay ones.

If the fluorescent bulbs don't work, I think those are about $10, maybe less on amazon. The bulbs for those are an odd size. I'll try to find that thread, a bunch of people posted useful info when I was doing it.

I'm definitely going to clean up the wire connections and redo the tape job they did. The halogens will get swapped for led as I've heard there are direct replacements where I don't need to swap the inverter. For that single fluorescent bulb, where do the wires from that inverter get connected?

Back