• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

$30 tool to tighten nosebridges yourself..

I use a toothpick to pre align everything..... I lube the pin with Purell...... I grab the pin with a pair of hemostats and set the pin in as far as possible using that...... Making sure the pin is strait i switch over to the Linegear tool.... I put a thin piece of fabric between the nose bridge and the press as not to mark up the front of the nose bridge.... I line the stuff up several times and begin to press the pin back into place..... I use a very bright flashlight to continually check that the pin remains straight...... DON"T FORCE IT !!!! Works very well for me.....

Very good tips. Thank you.

...you'll notice the pointy end will ruin the first 3-4 pins before it flattens out and then cups around the pin. This also tells you how soft the metal tip is. Over time mine has bent out of whack and I've had to file it down to avoid going in crooked. This leads to the taper getting too wide to go far enough into the nose bridge making you pull the pin the rest of the way out. That's where I am now. I need a new push rod thing for it. I don't know how many I've done but it's a lot and I've only punched through one nose bridge and ruined the first 5 or 6 pins.

This, exactly this!

I have one of these I use to DIY flex coupler replacements, the first couple of times they poke holes into your rivet pins rather than 'pushing' them properly, even if you have a cloth or something to protect them. If you apply a bit more force the push rod tip bends a bit.
Also, you have to compress the orbital to the bridge quite firmly to line up the holes on new flex coupler rubbers to allow pins to slide smoothly into place, otherwise you get more bending issues as well as tearing up your new rubber.
I had to get Linegear replacement pins for the first 3 or 4 pins that got ruined.

Once its run it a bit & you get used to using it its fine, seems to be the same as the Linegear tool.

32487115381_42a3ceb62c_k.jpg

Thought I'd add a shot of my tool. I used a dremel to file the tip back straight after the running issues noted above. The bottom support comes with 2 smaller diameter tips you can switch for other applications, but the largest one is the only one that fits the rivet pin into it as it's pushed out.