• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

3D Printing-Oakley Bob?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWannaBe

Resident Lurker
Premium Member
O Universe
So this is something I have looked for and have thus far been unable to find online. Does anyone have 3d printing designs for an Oakley bob head? I have access to industrial 3d printers and I was thinking about it the other day and I thought, "I bet I could print a sweet Oakley bob" it wouldn't look 100% right (3d print comes out a little grainy) and obviously would be more ridgid but the overall look would be there. With the authentic Bobs getting more and more rare, (and way over priced)I thought this would be a cheaper way to enhance a collection. Anyway I just thought I would toss it out there...

Last edited:
Merely casting one would be so much easier. Once you get past the cost of making the mold the casts are actually very cheap,

Casting would be easier but the mould would probably cost 10+ thousand. A company I work with has several large moulds like that and they are crazy expensive. I think printing would be cheapest, it's just the design work that would be tricky. Does anyone have a bob head that could be used for measurements.

What printing medium is used in the industrial printers you have access to?

Yes, the biggest hurdle would be creating a CAD of Bob in the first place.

I have to side with carguy that, starting from scratch, casting is easiest. You don't need a $10K mold - make one out of plaster. Then use unexpanded polystyrene in the mold to make the duplicate Bob. That triple-expanding insulation foam would probably work, too.

Old school...

What printing medium is used in the industrial printers you have access to?

Yes, the biggest hurdle would be creating a CAD of Bob in the first place.

I have to side with carguy that, starting from scratch, casting is easiest. You don't need a $10K mold - make one out of plaster. Then use unexpanded polystyrene in the mold to make the duplicate Bob. That triple-expanding insulation foam would probably work, too.

Old school...
Yea. No reason to use an expensive mold.

And you are right on the cad model. If someone has a way to model glasses/bobs easily, please pm me. I have a lot of stuff I wanna try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back