• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

3D Printing-Oakley Bob?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I was thinking injection molding :) I guess these others would work. I am glad this has been touched on before. I did find a link to a software that might help with getting a design, http://skanect.occipital.com/download/

All I would need an an actual oakley BOB head, or someone with an Oakley bob could use this software and then publish the file.

As far as material I would use, probably just a cheap plastic. It can always be painted after the fact.

Does anyone have a bob that they might be willing to run through this software? I guess you would need a kinect sensor as well to get the right rendering.

nothing like overthinking it. Really? Going through all this because a Bob head is $300+ ? If someone already has a Bob head why whore it out so there can be cheap replicas everywhere, thereby reducing the value of the original one? If one was a fiberglass expert, a two piece Bob head mold would be the cheapest and best way to bootleg one, other than Plaster of Paris and expanding foam. This harkens back to the old saying of a guy dropping a quarter in the old outhouse sh!tter....then dropping a twenty dollar bill in after it, Because he'd be damned if he's going in for only a quarter....

JUST BUY THE BOB....
Tim

nothing like overthinking it. Really? Going through all this because a Bob head is $300+ ? If someone already has a Bob head why whore it out so there can be cheap replicas everywhere, thereby reducing the value of the original one? If one was a fiberglass expert, a two piece Bob head mold would be the cheapest and best way to bootleg one, other than Plaster of Paris and expanding foam. This harkens back to the old saying of a guy dropping a quarter in the old outhouse sh!tter....then dropping a twenty dollar bill in after it, Because he'd be damned if he's going in for only a quarter....

JUST BUY THE BOB....
Tim
I agree there is some effort required to make this happen but I feel like it's worth it. Call me crazy but 300 for a Bob is an unbelievably high amount of money for a plastic head... And where are you buying Oakley bob heads for 300 bucks?!? I can't seem to find them for less then 400-500 that are in any kind of decent shape. Anyway I know it's a stretch to ask someone with a bob to help out but I don't think it takes away from the real thing, no more then a fake Juliet takes away from the real thing, fakes are obvious to the touch and in many ways the appearance. This Bob wouldn't be any different. It's just a fun way to display the glasses and keep the oakley look. If I can print a Bob for 25 bucks, paint it and have it look good, I think that's worth it. Based on some of the responses there might be a few people even willing to pay 100 bucks or so for a "fake" oakley bob head. But to that point to. Oakley Bob didn't come off of a Oakley manufacturing line, so it's not really "oakley" ether. ;)

If I bought an "original" bob at the going rate, I'd be careful to not mess it up...

...but if I could get replicas for $50 a pop I'd be temped to play around with custom finishes, etc. I've seen some spike bobs on the bay with some killer custom finishes, but way way overpriced...

That's assuming I'd buy a bob, real or replica, at all in the first place. I haven't really been one to fancy up a display too much.

But, from carguy's older thread, it sounds like there's plenty of replicas out there already, being sold as originals...

And, though I'm still a proponent of the casting method, if we could CAD / print bobs, they could be done in different sizes... or maybe play around with the design, give him Spock ears or something...

I might have to spring for a bob to use as a model if we can't get a Good Samaritan :) but I think it's a fun project non the less

But, from carguy's older thread, it sounds like there's plenty of replicas out there already, being sold as originals...
There are a bunch of replicas out there, I'd bet one out of every two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back