• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

60 Minutes... Luxottica?

Peter Gilley

Oakley Beginner
I saw a commercial for 60 minutes tomorrow night... I think.... anyway they were talking about sunglasses and I expect that it will be about the company that bought Oakley

This made me check Luxottica's homepage and I must say that it deeply saddens me that the Oakley brand is associated with all the rest of the brands owned by that company. What used to be a stand out company now just seems like another sheep in the flock.

Watched this earlier tonight and didn't realize Luxottica essentially strongarmed Oakley into being bought. I was also surprised at just how big that company was in regards to cornering pretty much everything that involves eyewear.

Not entirely sure about how I feel going forward with the brand.

I watched the 60 Minutes episode this evening as well. A real eye opener in finding out how much of the market Luxottica really controlled. Truly seems like a monopoly. It's to bad Oakley had to sell Luxottica, and it's to bad Sunglass Hut is the largest shop of its kind.

I'm not a fan at all of luxottica this brand just seems horrible and to see the assembly line of glasses they just move out and some of the horrible looking glasses they produce makes me see y these new frames (big taco and such) suck sooooooo bad!!! I'm very disappointed

Yeah, before I watched this segment I thought Jannard just sold Oakley to them because he wanted to do something else. Totally cool and understandable.

But to learn that Luxottica strong armed them into selling? That's a bunch of crap. Disputing pricing policies and then threatening to pull all Oakley items off the shelves of their retail outlets? What did that guy say? "Luxottica and Oakley 'merging' was best for both companies." That's a crock.

Quite interesting how he skated around the questions. They own the major outlets so it would be an impact on Oakley..... This is also true of Walmart. I spoke with an Operations Mgr. many years ago. When Walmart brought in Levi Strauss, they basically said we want a jean which is low price made good and we want our OWN version. So Levi's made "Levi Strauss Signature" jeans in several different versions for men and women and sold them for $19.97 all day long. I actually had a few pairs and they wore just as good as anything else. Why did this happen???? Because Levi wanted their products in Walmart, the biggest retail store in the nation, if not the world, to move Levi product faster then ever before. This was a $$$ potential for both parties, the difference???? Walmart didn't strong-arm Levi's and buy them... However they have been known to buy out other companies that were failing like Op (ocean pacific)

Back