• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

60 Minutes... Luxottica?

I thought the Nevada plant was being mothballed (i.e. closed but kept in a condition where it could be re-started easily)? If they weren't legally allowed to make the product anymore they'd shut it completely, but mothballing suggests they can and could still make a product using that process if they wanted to.

As for supply and demand, I don't understand Lux's business model at the minute, there is way too much supply right now.
The plant originally was a golf club head production plant, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have sold it for that purpose since X Metal is in fact dead....If they "mothballed" it, then it would be getting a whole overhaul which makes little sense as well. I would assume that any Elite X Metal will be a titanium piece that will more than likely be machined versus true X Metal wax loss casting...They have the tooling at HQ for that. Who knows what the future holds in store for Oakley.

I'm surprised nobody posted the quote of the episode. When asked about Ray-Ban, the Lux CEO stated," It's an American brand, owned by Italians." :confused: Lol that guy is a weasel!

That 60 mins was such bullshit. Leslie Sall can suck a ****. I didn't read a lot of the responses but it seems Batwolf cleared a lot up. It's not what it was made out to be. I'm sure Oakley will BR doing some sort of PR after that interview.

The plant originally was a golf club head production plant, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have sold it for that purpose since X Metal is in fact dead....If they "mothballed" it, then it would be getting a whole overhaul which makes little sense as well. I would assume that any Elite X Metal will be a titanium piece that will more than likely be machined versus true X Metal wax loss casting...They have the tooling at HQ for that. Who knows what the future holds in store for Oakley.

They'll never use CNC machinery to produce X-Metals in the quantity they did in the past; that would be much too expensive. I think they'll come up with a different material for X-Metals and restart the Nevada plant.

That electronics bit can be found if you dig through the Oakley patents online. They filed for that one a long time ago.

That 60 mins was such bullshit. Leslie Sall can suck a ****. I didn't read a lot of the responses but it seems Batwolf cleared a lot up. It's not what it was made out to be. I'm sure Oakley will BR doing some sort of PR after that interview.

lol props on expressive nature of your post.... but I am sure the Europeans high-fived themselves when they bought Oakley. It is pretty clear that the CEO loved swallowing up Oakley as you can see it in the pride on his face. Luxottica corporation would buy the moon if they could.

The whole interview made me feel very very creepy towards Luxottica. After I watched that segment I had to go take two showers.
Lets not forget what the honcho said about Ray-Bans as well when they took them off the shelf for a year..and then brought them back and sold them for a lot more money and they were all the rage again.

I know what sources are saying but dont be surprised when all of a sudden in two years X-Metals(or something renamed but similar) are back with even more aggressive pricing.

Latest Posts

Back