• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

9-11 Memories

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
I searched "9/11" and "9-11" but didn't find an existing thread on this topic, surprisingly. Maybe I'm a crappy forum searcher.

Or maybe it's because this is kinda generic, but still I think the topic deserves respect; it changed the world. At least it's not a "post pics of your Oaks and your big-ass monkey hands!" thread hahaha...

Where were you?

I bought my first house in 2000, still in my bachelor days. About a year later I got a black lab pup. When he was six months old, I took him in to get fixed. That was on 9/11/01. The day lived in infamy for him, too...

After dropping him off I was getting gas when I heard about the first crash on the radio. As I was driving back to the house they reported the second crash. Nobody knew what was going on yet but by then it was obvious it was more than an accident.

Back at the house, the news was showing the first few pics available. The pic of the plane was fuzzy and it didn't look like to me that it was a commercial airliner; that wasn't reported until later. I had trouble wrapping my head around that.

I had already planned a nap before going into work, and after some time passed and everything looked like it was settling down, I took it. When I woke up, the towers had collapsed. Shocking.

At work, of course everybody was talking about it. By then, it was known that al qaeda was responsible and that bin laden was being sheltered in afghanistan by the taliban, who had already been making the news for their strict conservative regime and penchant for destroying ancient monuments that weren't muslim.

On that day I predicted that we would demand the taliban turn over bin laden, they would refuse, and then we would invade afghanistan.

That black lab died a couple of years ago of old age. My life has changed a lot in that time. Thinking back, it seems like a different lifetime.

I was working at PSI which was the start of my current career. I was waiting to head out for the day and heard the news of the first plane. Walked into the office to watch the news and saw the second plane hit. Spent the rest of the day working in bewilderment.

i used to wake up to the radio and the radio turned on and the first thing I heard was " a plane has crashed into the world trade center" that wakes you up faster than anything

i used to wake up to the radio and the radio turned on and the first thing I heard was " a plane has crashed into the world trade center" that wakes you up faster than anything

A little off-topic but that kinda reminds me of the Columbia disaster in '03. I had been up all night in Houston doing some on-site work, barely got some sleep before having to check out of the hotel the next day. Driving back to Austin, the radio was talking about it; it took a while for my muddled head to realize they weren't remembering the Challenger disaster but reporting something new. Like you said, wakes you up fast. I actually drove by some of the debris on the way back; they had it roped off and cop cars around. I didn't realize that's what it was until after the fact.

Anyway... :focus:

I was in my algebra 2 class in high school when I found out. Our school was in "code red alert" because we were so close to Fort Bliss. All periods we were watching cnn, msnbc, foxnews, etc. It was surreal knowing we were being attacked. Very tragic day.

I was in a College English class... News broke somehow and class was cancelled and we all went to the cafeteria and watched what we could on CNN...

The old cathode tubes hung way too high in he sky to see or hear anything... But those images spoke volumes...

Back