• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

9-11 Memories

To honour the Heroes

image.jpg

i was 11 years old but i cant forget that day....My mum asked me to see the news on th TV but i did not feel how big was this thing.....Now im a bit older and im cant understand why is humanity can be such bad :(
R.I.P for everyone who was involved :(
I will not forget that day in my life thats for sure....

i was 19ish years old at the time. i remember i was scheduled to go into work (at a tire shop, i don't work there anymore) around mid day that day, 10 or 12ish i want to say. there is a McDonalds near me that does bingo where you can win gift cards for free meals on Tuesday mornings. my friend Pete and his sister wanted to get breakfast so we went there to play bingo. during my drive home is when the first plane hit. i got in the door at home and my parents were watching the TV right after the first plane hit. my parents, along with the media didn't know what to think (the few moments when the TV was still reporting they thought it was a tragic accident or something). i will never forget seeing the second plane hit live on TV. when i got to work the guys had no idea what had happened. i brought the TV from the break room upstairs down into the service bays so they could see and keep updated on the situation. the amount of customers coming in slowed to a crawl and we spent a lot of the day in shock watching the TV in the bays. the whole day just felt unreal.

Last edited:
As I write this, I'm at the same place I was 14 years ago ... working in NYC. My co-worker swung by my desk and said his mom just told him a plane hit the WTC. We both thought the same thing, a small plane accidentally hit the building. A short while later, a bunch of people gathered at one of the conference rooms and watched it unfold on tv. The second plane hit and my co-worker said, lets go to the 23rd floor and see if we can see anything. From a conference room on the 23rd floor, we could see the tops of both buildings and the smoke coming up from them. I recall my co-worker looking in disbelief and when I looked over, a while later, you could only see one building. The announcements came on the loudspeakers and everyone was told to go home. Trains were only running away from Manhattan. So I took the train to my sister's house in Brooklyn. My brother in law picked me up later in the day and drove me home to Jersey. No tolls on the bridges, Toll collectors were just waving people through. Felt surreal.

I don't understand how some folks can be so evil. The world can really suck sometimes ...

My childhood dog died at about 4:30 that morning. My dad and I took jake to the crematory and as I laid on the couch, my brother says "a plane hit the World Trade Center" I told him a plane hit the Empire State Building once too and let me sleep. Than on the TV we saw the second plane hit. The next two weeks are a blur, my dads family landed in the Bronx when he was 5. There were members of my family, firefighters, police and stockbrokers who we didn't know where they were for several days. I remember at one of my night classes there was a guard member who came to class covered in dust. He only had one course that semester and he drove from Nyc to upstate ny every week for that class.
I remember my father an Air Force veteran trying to reenlist at 57 years old. This is a jumble and rambling but the memories come back all at once.

Thanks for the bump, Linus... :hi:

I already told my story in the OP of this thread, but man, it's hard to believe it's been 14 years already. I was 28 back then; a third of my life to date has passed since...

Thanks for the bump, Linus... :hi:

I already told my story in the OP of this thread, but man, it's hard to believe it's been 14 years already. I was 28 back then; a third of my life to date has passed since...
I was a freshman in high school. We watched on the projector screens in chemistry lab. I left the magnet school at lunch to go back to junior high (7-9 school) and the principal stopped us and told us no one really knew and not to say anything.

I remember drifting through the day once we knew it was a terrorist attack. It was probably a week at least before the shock wore off, and a full year before it was fully absorbed (at least here). Everyone's attitude changed. The whole country changed.

It makes me feel mostly helpless.

Back