• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

99 XX Value

Hey Brip, how much does a serial number add to a pair of XXs. Does a lower sn (under 1000) add even more value?

Serial number on an XX indicates it wasnt the later 2009 re-release. They are somewhat more valuable as collectors items but no real price difference, not significant anyway. A low serial however (sub-1000 like you say) is sought after by serial aficionados. It holds great value to some and you can probably be able to fetch 50-100 more on average for a low serial. But collectors come in all shapes and sizes, and you' ll get people who want a specific number or something. Like all 1's or a repeating pattern... Etc.

So far i have 2 pairs of sub-1000 serials ("3-digit"), and 3 or 4 sub 10,000 ("4digits"). I treasure them just for the cool factor but outside of that i wouldnt pay much extra for em.. But again to each their own.

Serial number on an XX indicates it wasnt the later 2009 re-release. They are somewhat more valuable as collectors items but no real price difference, not significant anyway. A low serial however (sub-1000 like you say) is sought after by serial aficionados. It holds great value to some and you can probably be able to fetch 50-100 more on average for a low serial. But collectors come in all shapes and sizes, and you' ll get people who want a specific number or something. Like all 1's or a repeating pattern... Etc.

So far i have 2 pairs of sub-1000 serials ("3-digit"), and 3 or 4 sub 10,000 ("4digits"). I treasure them just for the cool factor but outside of that i wouldnt pay much extra for em.. But again to each their own.

Thank you. Your insight is always highly valued. Didn't realize a XX without a serial meant a re-release pair. Much appreciated.

i would have to say Brip is right again. i personally would not get even a mint pair of any oakley frame, even if the frame were limited, if the lenses are NOT oem. why buy oakley if just for the frame? we get oakley for the optics.

Thank you. Your insight is always highly valued. Didn't realize a XX without a serial meant a re-release pair. Much appreciated.

no worries. oh, also remember there were some warranty replacement frames in the original run that came without serials, but these are minimal, and generally hold less value than serialised pieces for the same reasons. you can tell them apart from the later release by the texture of the finish- the xmetal between the 2 releases changed. the re-release has a really even matte finish, whereas the inital run would have the rough casting etc showing (shows up as 'streaks' in the surface)

one more thing to note is that you'll notice is the o-review lists "W" serials as warranty replacements- so far i have only seen them on juliets. i think it was dropped fairly early on (around gen2) an they just used blank frames.

also im not sure if the XX survived long enough to see the rise of frame size etching which occupied the serial location (you see that in the last run juliets). i think they didnt..

Back