• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A couple R1 questions...

Kory

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Colorado
R1's are notorious for spider cracks due to no frame flex causing the cracks correct? If that's the case why have I seen for sale posts stating they have never been worn but have spider cracks?

What if anything can be done to reduce or eliminate the cracking of the lenses?

Thanks!

Actually, there is frame flex, it flexes where the nosebridge is connected to the orbitals. And that's what causes the stress cracks, when it flexed it would stress the lenses at that joint and cause cracking.

I know which listing you're talking about, though, and yeah, if they've never been worn / only displayed, they shouldn't have developed stress cracks. Unless someone was flexing them by hand.

Actually, there is frame flex, it flexes where the nosebridge is connected to the orbitals. And that's what causes the stress cracks, when it flexed it would stress the lenses at that joint and cause cracking.

I know which listing you're talking about, though, and yeah, if they've never been worn / only displayed, they shouldn't have developed stress cracks. Unless someone was flexing them by hand.
Thanks for the info! Any way to help prevent the cracks?

Yep.

From a usage perspective, put them on / take them off from the top of the head, like you would a hat. Many do this for all x-metals to keep the nosebridge from getting loose but with R1 it also helps prevent stress cracks.

Then Dr. Chop figured out that by putting a small dimple in the lens edge where it lines up with the frame joint, it prevents them from being stressed with flexing and thus you don't get the cracks. The dimple is not visible when mounted. Many custom cutters will add these.

Yep.

From a usage perspective, put them on / take them off from the top of the head, like you would a hat. Many do this for all x-metals to keep the nosebridge from getting loose but with R1 it also helps prevent stress cracks.

Then Dr. Chop figured out that by putting a small dimple in the lens edge where it lines up with the frame joint, it prevents them from being stressed with flexing and thus you don't get the cracks. The dimple is not visible when mounted. Many custom cutters will add these.
Can I get an animated gif demo please? :D

Can I get an animated gif demo please? :D

Kory NOOOOO!!! :)

@kronin323 thank you for the "dimple" info. Hadn't heard of that until just now and have never noticed any. Is this something that would be done to Juliets? I have only those to date and am curious if it's needed (or recommended) with them also or just the Romeo.

Kory NOOOOO!!! :)

@kronin323 thank you for the "dimple" info. Hadn't heard of that until just now and have never noticed any. Is this something that would be done to Juliets? I have only those to date and am curious if it's needed (or recommended) with them also or just the Romeo.

Only applies to R1. Other x-metals are a different design and don't have the same problem, nor would benefit from the same solution.

Only applies to R1. Other x-metals are a different design and don't have the same problem, nor would benefit from the same solution.

Understood, thank you. The "X" on the Romeo is quite obviously different than the rest of the X family (excluding Mars), and I can see without ever having held a pair that the stress would be applied completely differently.