• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A Decent Custom Ice Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

discostu

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
UK
I've installed an old customxmetal - now exovista, Cobalt Blue set my brother had from a few years back, temporarily, until I can have an oem ice cut for them. I was going to go with maybe a black or bronze colour but I think this colourway looks the best in a plasma frame. This will be my daily pair .... for now :). It seems to be a decent likeness for an aftermarket also I think, and clarity is not bad at all to be honest. Thoughts ?
064ED02E-DCD9-40FD-90E5-CD7011699384_zpstghsecwl.jpg

I would be more concerned with optical quality more then anything else. Like we all have discussed before what you wear is your business, if you want to subject your eyes to poor quality optics that is your choice. I know that exovista lenses have a habit of causing star burst effects on viewed light which is nothing more then the optical degradation showing.

I would be more concerned with optical quality more then anything else. Like we all have discussed before what you wear is your business, if you want to subject your eyes to poor quality optics that is your choice. I know that exovista lenses have a habit of causing star burst effects on viewed light which is nothing more then the optical degradation showing.
Thanks for the information. I was not aware of actual optical degradation occurring with aftermarkets although I'm well aware they have nothing on an Oakley lens optically. Do you know if this affects in any way the protective qualities of the lens at all ?
Thanks

Do you know if this affects in any way the protective qualities of the lens at all ?
Thanks

By "protective qualities" do you mean impact protection, UV protection, or something else? My understanding is that the shatterproof and UV blocking properties of polycarbonate lenses are innate to polycarbonate itself, not a production add-on. So, as long as they're actually polycarbonate and not some cheaper type of plastic, those two things should be good.

But polarization, tint (if not tint-in-base), and mirror coatings are add-ons that can damage / degrade.

By "protective qualities" do you mean impact protection, UV protection, or something else? My understanding is that the shatterproof and UV blocking properties of polycarbonate lenses are innate to polycarbonate itself, not a production add-on. So, as long as they're actually polycarbonate and not some cheaper type of plastic, those two things should be good.

But polarization, tint (if not tint-in-base), and mirror coatings are add-ons that can damage / degrade.
Yes I was referring the the UV protection of the lens if the optics have degraded, as this would definitely be of concern. If as you say the protection is within the polycarbonate itself, it should be unaffected. Thanks!

Thanks for taking my thunder, Bogart!:punish:

Actually that link compares Oakley lenses to some non-polycarbonate competitor's lenses. The Dior and Gucci are CR39, which is a different material. The MJ's are glass.

It's just marketing spin that the page doesn't specify that the shatter protection is a result of using polycarbonate itself instead of something extra that Oakley does...

true that bit is unclear. hence my disclaimer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back