• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A Fixer Upper Single Wide...need Some Help

You da man....

I have started to clean the main side rails. Using Mother's Polish as I have had good results in the past on other projects. Just ordered some Sheila Shine for the bottom metal door and side walls. I will post pics of progress so far as well as "before" pics pics, probably tomorrow.

I don't know if you've seen this but I did a review of mothers vs. sheila vs. cheap grocery store polish here:

http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/aluminum-display-case-polish-product-review.36160/

OK, I'm assuming this is the same x-metal single wide that has the I-beam corners, four removable shelves, and two cabinets or drawers in the base.

There's a similar one that just has normal corners and 3/3 shelves / drawers; these measurements are not for that one...

The inner brackets are a true 3/16" thick. Measured from the inner side, each leg is 1 1/4" wide, of which 1/2" extends into the tab while 3/4" is flush with the top / bottom.

20141014_180331.jpg

Basically they're wide enough to be flush with the outside I-beam edges. I took a pic of that but it didn't come out well; Nortika's first pic on pg.1 shows it better.

They are 44" in length, not including the tabs. The tabs are just going through sheetmetal at the top and bottom and they don't really protrude much, so I'd guess maybe 1/8" each, without actually taking out and measuring.

Underside of the bottom:

20141014_173957.jpg

View from the top:

20141014_180725.jpg

@kronin323, this is exactly what I needed. Perfect! My case is the 4-shelf version with the I-beam corners. With those measurements I can proceed to start fabbing up the corner angle brackets. And the Sheila Shine....your thread is where I found out about it. Ordered some yesterday evening from good ole Amazon. That's why I love this forum. So much info and help, just a couple of mouse clicks away. I think Home Depot has the aluminum angle in 8' sticks, so I am going to go buy 2 of those today. I should be able 2 get to corner brackets per stick.

Now, on to another topic: Lighting. In that last pic, those wires I assume are for lighting. Is that aftermarket? I was looking at putting some LED strips along the vertical in each of the corners and have them terminate inside the bottom locking shelf area to an ac cord/dimmer setup that I can plug directly into a wall receptacle. Is this how most are doing it (or at least something similar)? Any recommendations for LED light kits?

Last edited:
Now, on to another topic: Lighting. In that last pic, those wires I assume are for lighting. Is that aftermarket? I was looking at putting some LED strips along the vertical in each of the corners and have them terminate inside the bottom locking shelf area to an ac cord/dimmer setup that I can plug directly into a wall receptacle. Is this how most are doing it (or at least something similar)? Any recommendations for LED light kits?

Yeah - aftermarket. I did basically what you're describing only running from the top down instead of bottom up. There are a number of LED options out there but I went with the Ikea Dioder - the strips have an enclosed plastic housing and are a bit safer than the exposed self-adhesive strips sold elsewhere. They're discussed in more detail in the thread below, if you go through the whole thing:

http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/...-are-many-like-it-but-this-one-is-mine.35987/

Yeah - aftermarket. I did basically what you're describing only running from the top down instead of bottom up. There are a number of LED options out there but I went with the Ikea Dioder - the strips have an enclosed plastic housing and are a bit safer than the exposed self-adhesive strips sold elsewhere. They're discussed in more detail in the thread below, if you go through the whole thing:

http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/...-are-many-like-it-but-this-one-is-mine.35987/
good deal. That was what I had in my head as how I wanted to do the lighting setup. I am also considering maybe a single light at the top to shine down. Dont know yet, just kicking some ideas around. Thanks for the links @kronin323 .

Ok, so I finally got this thing finished. I got it on the bay. Some idiot sprayed frost spray paint on every piece of plexi. Also, it was missing the inner corner brackets, so I had to fab those and put some pegs in to hold shelves. Not really filled up, as I have a meager collection, but it turned out good. And now I haz Oakley display case!
uploadfromtaptalk1414362600747.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1414362600747.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414362649562.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414362649562.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 266
Last edited by a moderator:
I did see the one with the frost plastic, that did not make any sense to me either, You did a really awesome job bringing it back to life!!! With great X-metal's to display in it :hi:

Looking much better! Frosted glass just sounds weird!! Now its time to get it full!

Yep,very happy the way it turned out. Kronin, I used your advise from your thread you linked earlier. Mothers, Sheila shine, and the plexi polish worked wonders. All 3 are highly recommended for a restoration. I wound up using some non acetone fingernail polish soaked into a rag to get the majority of the frosting off, then hit it with the 3 step plexi polish. Thanks for all the help folks! Couldn't have pulled it off without you.

Back