• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A Moral customization question...

btw73

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Denville, NJ
So I have picked up some Gen 1 Froggies, including a couple that were beaters, or were broken. I have cleaned em up (and fixed em up) and was thinking of painting em up and customizing. As the subject matter experts, I was curious if it is frowned upon to customize these?

Are there frames that “shouldn’t” be customized?

As far as I'm concerned it depends on the frame.
1. If it's mine and a nice frame, and I really like it, no I'll leave it alone and wear it.
2. If it's mine and a total beater, why not? I've customized a few Livestrong frames (SJ2s and a Scalpel) and then re-used the yellow rubbers and icons on other customs, and a Team USA Fuel Cell. I saved the artwork on the earstems and refinished the rest Blue.
3. If it belongs to somebody else and they want it customized. That's fine with me, customers always right.

So I have picked up some Gen 1 Froggies, including a couple that were beaters, or were broken. I have cleaned em up (and fixed em up) and was thinking of painting em up and customizing. As the subject matter experts, I was curious if it is frowned upon to customize these?

Are there frames that “shouldn’t” be customized?
I think the main thing is being upfront about repaired broken frames. Some people may be pushed away if they know it’s been totally snapped before so it depends on what you mean by broken.

Saving Oakleys from the rubbish is a noble undertaking.
Have at ‘em.

I think the main thing is being upfront about repaired broken frames. Some people may be pushed away if they know it’s been totally snapped before so it depends on what you mean by broken.

I definitely am one to buy broken frames and fix em up. it makes the finished product lots more exciting to me.

and i get why some people would be turned off about a repair... particularly a collector. but if repaired well, they can be just as durable as before, particularly if intended for a daily wear.

With that said, i would like to think i am up front about repairs. i have been very straightforward here on the forum, but i bet i could be more explicit in the sales i post.

so there aren't any real hands-off frames not to customize?

I definitely am one to buy broken frames and fix em up. it makes the finished product lots more exciting to me.

and i get why some people would be turned off about a repair... particularly a collector. but if repaired well, they can be just as durable as before, particularly if intended for a daily wear.

With that said, i would like to think i am up front about repairs. i have been very straightforward here on the forum, but i bet i could be more explicit in the sales i post.

so there aren't any real hands-off frames not to customize?
I believe you’ve been straigh forward didn’t mean anything against ya bud! One day I’ll have to get a custom from you for sure!

Last edited:
Back to the thread title. Is a mod about aesthetics or value... or both? Would you be cool with customizing a pair of C Six Carbon Fiber? Some of the f’d up things people have done to Juliets is terrible. Just trying to see where people have drawn the custom / mod line.

Back to the thread title. Is a mod about aesthetics or value... or both? Would you be cool with customizing a pair of C Six Carbon Fiber? Some of the f’d up things people have done to Juliets is terrible. Just trying to see where people have drawn the custom / mod line.
The sky is the limits most people when it comes to customizing have more then one pair of the specific style and color way so why not make one a custom and different.... believe it or not Some people Have multiple carbon c6...

Back