• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A off topic question about trading on this site

OakleyLewis74

Oakley Enthusiast
Hello,
I am a newer member but also excited to be here and be able to discuss Oakley with all of you. In a weekish Ill get to trade and exchange and sell on this website as well which I find an awesome way to spread the Oakley love through the community. My question is what is the trading protocol? I understand in buying and selling with paypal and what not and possibly using Ebay but I am asking more towards making trades with people? If this question is crossing some unspoken word or I shouldn't ask I apologize I am just curious and want to make sure I follow all protocols. Thank you.

Your question is not out-of-line though there is a thread or two that discusses this topic in depth. Don't have time to dig it up right now, so...

1. Check the person's feedback for trustworthiness.

2. The best practice is to G&S paypal the other guy the agreed-upon value, and he does the same. The $$s wash so there's no need to refund or lose money, but that way you're both protected by the paypal insurance; it's like buying dual insurance for 4%... the catch is at least one of you has to have enough funds to paypal the value of the item, and if you do, why trade?!?

3. Another option is to use a middleman - you both send your items to the middleman, then the middleman sends them out once both items are received. I don't know anybody who's actually done this...

Bottom line, trades are more risky than other deals. That's a benefit of this forum. Instead of using it solely as a marketplace, it's an opportunity to get to know the people here, through conversation and interaction. That way you have a chance to know who you're dealing with, at least better than you would with a total stranger...

Have you traded before? Has it gone well? @kronin323

I only buy, never sell. There's two pairs I'm willing to sell or trade but I'm too lazy to actually try to move them; don't think there's much market... :rolleyes: But many trades happen here all the time.

And there's a large number of members that I'd absolutely trust to trade with, with no hesitation. Because I know them, to one degree or another.

PM me with the name of the guy you're wondering about; it's against the rules to call out someone publicly. If I know / trust the guy, I'll let you know. If I don't know the guy or have no opinion, you're back where you're started.

Liability Disclaimer - I take no responsibility for the results of your trade attempt... :angel:

I only buy, never sell. There's two pairs I'm willing to sell or trade but I'm too lazy to actually try to move them; don't think there's much market... :rolleyes: But many trades happen here all the time.

And there's a large number of members that I'd absolutely trust to trade with, with no hesitation. Because I know them, to one degree or another.

PM me with the name of the guy you're wondering about; it's against the rules to call out someone publicly. If I know / trust the guy, I'll let you know. If I don't know the guy or have no opinion, you're back where you're started.

Liability Disclaimer - I take no responsibility for the results of your trade attempt... :angel:
Thank you so much! That is really helpful.

What happens if he was thinking off trading with you ! Could you be trusted to give an honest & unbiased opinion off yourself?

In my experience on the forum with trading generally the individual with lower feedback will ship his item first upon receiving his item the other party will ship.
This is the most common way I have see dealt with trading, The party with higher feedback is less likely to throw away his standing on the forum over 1 transaction.
With that being said there is no guarantee and that is the risk you run with any transaction. Ultimately you hope everything works out and the good are as described.
Best of luck.

I have traded with a few members on here and we each cover our own shipping costs and send tracking info. All has worked well in the past.

I will volunteer to be a middle man. Send me your Oakleys and I will only wear them for a few days before forwarding them on the the buyer :p;)