• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A pair that is more than just sunglasses.

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
No, I'm not talking about the latest wearable technology, MP3, HUD, iPhone sync or anything like that. I'm talking about a pair that represents something.

I've got a few of those in my collection. A Four S that's the same model I borrowed during a trip in Europe, the M Frames that were my main pair in college and saw all kinds of use.

One of my most recent additions to the collection is a pair of Half Jackets. They're nothing special to look at, just a simple SI colorway; matte black with grey polarized XLJ lenses, gunmetal 'football' icons. In fact the greasy earsocks and peeling lenses, the loose hinges and scarred frames, would likely make this pair trash or close to it for most collectors.

But this pair now has a permanent spot in my collection.

We have a thread somewhere around the forum that asks what pair got you into the brand. What sucked you in. If I had to point to one thing, it was this exact pair.

The timeframe is a bit fuzzy, but sometime around 2003 my dad bought this pair of glasses from the SI program. I think a coworker of his was in the reserves and was putting in a group order (back when it was mail order and had a minimum purchase level). I fell in love. More than once I "borrowed" them to wear until my dad would yell at me to give them back. I didn't have a pair of my own, but I was aware of the brand, and after those Jackets came into the house it sparked a desire that hasn't faded.

In July my dad passed away. I think I wrote something on the forum at the time. A few months later I found the spare lenses in a drawer. The flood of memories came back, I knew immediately I was taking the glasses home with me. I found them in the glove box of his car, one of the common locations they've lived the last ~13 years, ready for the ride to work or to be safety glasses during some project.

When I got them home I immediately went on the forum and eBay looking for a new rubber kit and lenses. But that would take away from what they are and I decided they would be left as-is. I can't even bring myself to clean them so the decision was pretty easy.

I've been wanting to post this for a while, but I've been putting it off, I'm not sure why I finally got around to posting it. I don't even have a photo but at this point I don't think one is needed.

This also knocks me out of the 'No Shelf Whores' group; this pair ain't for wearing.

No, I'm not talking about the latest wearable technology, MP3, HUD, iPhone sync or anything like that. I'm talking about a pair that represents something.

I've got a few of those in my collection. A Four S that's the same model I borrowed during a trip in Europe, the M Frames that were my main pair in college and saw all kinds of use.

One of my most recent additions to the collection is a pair of Half Jackets. They're nothing special to look at, just a simple SI colorway; matte black with grey polarized XLJ lenses, gunmetal 'football' icons. In fact the greasy earsocks and peeling lenses, the loose hinges and scarred frames, would likely make this pair trash or close to it for most collectors.

But this pair now has a permanent spot in my collection.

We have a thread somewhere around the forum that asks what pair got you into the brand. What sucked you in. If I had to point to one thing, it was this exact pair.

The timeframe is a bit fuzzy, but sometime around 2003 my dad bought this pair of glasses from the SI program. I think a coworker of his was in the reserves and was putting in a group order (back when it was mail order and had a minimum purchase level). I fell in love. More than once I "borrowed" them to wear until my dad would yell at me to give them back. I didn't have a pair of my own, but I was aware of the brand, and after those Jackets came into the house it sparked a desire that hasn't faded.

In July my dad passed away. I think I wrote something on the forum at the time. A few months later I found the spare lenses in a drawer. The flood of memories came back, I knew immediately I was taking the glasses home with me. I found them in the glove box of his car, one of the common locations they've lived the last ~13 years, ready for the ride to work or to be safety glasses during some project.

When I got them home I immediately went on the forum and eBay looking for a new rubber kit and lenses. But that would take away from what they are and I decided they would be left as-is. I can't even bring myself to clean them so the decision was pretty easy.

I've been wanting to post this for a while, but I've been putting it off, I'm not sure why I finally got around to posting it. I don't even have a photo but at this point I don't think one is needed.

This also knocks me out of the 'No Shelf Whores' group; this pair ain't for wearing.
:cry:

Thanks for sharing.

I was pondering if I had anything that could relate; some favorite item of my dad's that inspired a similar passion in me, which could later serve as a memento. No, not really.

But I have thought of that now and then, if, after I'm gone, The Kid will prevent The Wife from wholesale junking all of my possessions, if she'll want to hang on to something(s), perhaps even my Oaks... Though I guess that's a disadvantage to a big collection, not really one that's "the" pair above all others...

However, I think I can speak for the majority and say that you can keep your NSWC membership; this pair can be exempt... ;)

I can speak for the majority and say that you can keep your NSWC membership
Of course.
You're fortunate to have such a memento.
A pic for posterity is encouraged.

I have such a memorable pair, though only precious to me..but they are not Oakley, rather from a time when Jim J. was likely chasing co-eds in his RayBans...

I appreciate the responses. It was sunny today, so I had good light for a few shots.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455472776.565193.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455472786.452190.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455472795.489444.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455472803.377150.jpg

And the Flak 2.0 SI with grey polarized I bought as the pair I'd wear instead

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455472849.083309.jpg

I don't have anything that special at this point. The only thing that might qualify is a pair of NYC exclusive Fuel Cells commemorating my first trip to NY.

I have my old BI black Eye jackets that survived almost everything (good and bad) and got their ear stems replaced free by Oakley numerous times. They did however not survive unscathed when my (rental) car was caught by a rock slide and they were lying on top of the passenger airbag.. I found all the pieces in the car (lenses were fine, frame was broken) and epoxied them together and still have them as spares in the mountain cabin :cool: Might bring them home to safety and leave a pair of half jackets at the cabin.

My Dark chrome Splice were my second Oakley's ever. They have new custom cut lenses and are pretty special. I guess. But my most special were my crystal blue with 24k minute 1.0. They were my first and are at the bottom of a lake. :(

Back