• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A Point On Oakley Price

I love Oakleys but anyone who doesn't think their prices are blatant ripoffs is kidding themselves. You are paying a lot for the name. And you don't need Oakleys or even to spend more than $25-30 to protect your eyes. Even most $5-10 sunglasses, suck as they might, will offer the same UV protection. Oakley has made a business out of 1) selling style 2) convincing people old and very cheap technology is somehow exclusive to them and really expensive. I buy for #1. It's nice to have good fit and finish too. But also even Oakley themselves often sells for 50%off and still make a profit.

Most glasses are 100% uv protection to the government standard, which is 60%. Oakley is truly 100%, because they hold themselves to a higher standard. So no, the glasses that you buy in the gas station are not protecting you the same as a pair of Oakleys, and neither are most high end brands. If you think I am wrong, look up the government minimum standards on UV protection.

Yes I do think you are wrong. They have machines to test this as well. And not all cheap glasses are just gas station glasses. UVA and UVB isn't hard to protect from. They would have to pay more to make their lens materials transmit UVA or UVB.

Want to pay more for higher quality materials, higher quality finish/QA, better fit, style and brand name? Nothing wrong with that, just admit that you are paying a ridiculously high markup.

Yes I do think you are wrong. They have machines to test this as well. And not all cheap glasses are just gas station glasses. UVA and UVB isn't hard to protect from. They would have to pay more to make their lens materials transmit UVA or UVB.

Want to pay more for higher quality materials, higher quality finish/QA, better fit, style and brand name? Nothing wrong with that, just admit that you are paying a ridiculously high markup.
Why are you even on this forum? you sound like the kind of guy that is just looking to get a rise out of people

Why are you even on this forum? you sound like the kind of guy that is just looking to get a rise out of people

god forbid I'm not drinking the koolaid, otherwise I can't be on the forum? Why did you even start this thread, to justify Oakley's own morbid price markup so you don't feel bad about it?

I'm not the kind of guy that is just looking to get a rise out of people, I'm just stating facts and being a realist. Geez.

That would depend on what you buy. O matter stuff that costs them 10$ or so to make, sure.

Xmetals? not so much.

Watches? Def.

Yeah aren't there watches like $1000+?

Xmetals yeah those metals they use are pretty darn tough.

Its supply and demand, they will sell for the price that we will buy them for. Yes o matter frames are cheap to make but metals are not nearly as inexpensive to manufacture. Regardless, no company can compete with Oakley xyz optics. I believe I read, and correct me if i'm wrong, that Oakley has over 600 patents on the lenses alone. Also, yes the watches are quite expensive but many of them are made with some of the best movement technology in the watch making industry today. And to answer the OP's question, yes I've had a friend or two attempt to criticize me for buying expensive glasses but then they look through them and listen to me explain xyz, plutonite, unobtanium, x-metal, etc and they understand. Some aren't big on some of the styling but after a few wears they grow on the most skeptical of closet ray ban and prada fans.

god forbid I'm not drinking the koolaid, otherwise I can't be on the forum? Why did you even start this thread, to justify Oakley's own morbid price markup so you don't feel bad about it?

I'm not the kind of guy that is just looking to get a rise out of people, I'm just stating facts and being a realist. Geez.

+1! Differing personalities and opinions are what make this forum great!

Not trying to start a fight here but what Jacket Fan says is true as well. :D When there is demand there is supply and when people love your products and your well known your prices are going to be a little expensive :D In the end it is all about marketing

Back