• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A Point On Oakley Price

It's all about a person's preference. Nobody is "right" or "wrong" Let's be honest here, expensive and cheap sunglasses both likely have a mark up that is pretty high. Expensive ones then tack on the name and perhaps research costs and other costs to inflate it higher. They consequentially likely will make less on volume. Cheap sunglasses probably use even cheaper materials cut research costs and market at a lower price point trying to make up the difference in volume. Even the "gas station" sunglasses are making well over 300-400% per pair or it wouldn't be worth it for them. As the saying goes "if you want to own a Bentley, don't complain about the gas" Of course that doesn't mean don't try to get one on the cheap if you can lol.

I work in the wholesale industry selling mostly to gas stations and convenience stores and this is completely true. The same glasses you see in gas stations for $5-$15 cost our company: WAIT FOR IT- $0.50-$1.50. We then turn around and sell them to stores for $2.99-$8.99. Our mark up is huge and our customers still have plenty of room to make their profits comfortably even if the glasses sit on the rack for a year or more.

I'm sure the case is much the same with Oakley. Maybe they aren't marking up the wholesale price 500% or more but I'm sure that between the net cost to make and sell a pair and the price they retail for they make a pretty penny, even after you add in microfiber bags, boxes, expected warranty claims etc that the cheapo glasses don't have to worry about.

Oakley also has to maintain retail stores, sales reps, and dozens of other things your gas station pairs just don't have to deal with that forces the prices up.

Do I have a problem with the price point, not at all. If they were cheaper I would certainly have more but I like knowing that most pairs are still made here in the US, and it's a shame that prescription and other metal pairs have been moved overseas. I would be more than willing to pay a little more for something that provides jobs to the country I call home.

I drive quite a lot (decent commute to work). I always carry a couple different pairs with me. Their Polarization and Anti Reflective lenses are unmatched by any competitor, and makes driving with crazy sunlight 10x more enjoyable. I also run/bike a lot, so they definitely get their use. I also have a couple pairs for the wood shop. I teach high school wood shop and the kids are unpredictable at times while assisting them on the machine, which ends up kicking nice chunks of wood back at me. Gotta love Oakley for their safety though!

I get heckled by my buddies and my gf especially for the pairs that I collect solely for eye candy. I do bring them out from time to time, but to them it's just a paperweight.

I do feel as though their newer pairs are definitely lacking, which is why I haven't really bothered adding to my collection in a while.

They are expensive though, but as long as you enjoy them, nothing else should matter :)

Back