• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

A/R Coating?

Fire is the WORST for internal reflection. I almost can’t wear them.

@cacatman I smell a new list
I have a nice chopped DWB lens for my XX and it basically feels like I'm staring at my own eyeballs and the top of my cheeks hahaha !!!

I can see the shiny goo in my eyes in the reflection of those things - worst lens I have 😒

I experience ghosting while wearing Catalyst with Prizm Daily.
Only in the right eye tho.... which I find quite odd.
I experimented with it all day once different angles with the sun, mid day, evening, and only in the right lens.

Don’t mean to stir up an old thread, but curious if there’s a list out there of frame with AR Coatings. It’s one of the main reasons I loved my Nanowires so much. Perhaps I missed it in my search, but curious if there is a definitive list?
Late to the party, there's a definitive list based on the marketing material. To my knowledge, only the Oakley ELITE range had AR coating for plano This means Pitboss 1 & 2 + c-six. Aside from those models, Oakley stealth is only found in RX and only if you pay for it.

Why doesn't Oakley include AR? Possible reasons I can think of:
1. Cost
2. Not needed so long as the frames fit snugly on the wearer's face (ie. No light leakage from behind the wearer)

So why would they do it on pitboss and c6? Those are highly wrapped frames
The most logical explanation is cost. If you don't currently do AR on the millions of lenses made per year, chances are the machines and processes aren't capable to scale up with same production numbers if AR became standard. As for why Elite range had it, it's marketing to make them unique

Late to the party, there's a definitive list based on the marketing material. To my knowledge, only the Oakley ELITE range had AR coating for plano This means Pitboss 1 & 2 + c-six. Aside from those models, Oakley stealth is only found in RX and only if you pay for it.

Why doesn't Oakley include AR? Possible reasons I can think of:
1. Cost
2. Not needed so long as the frames fit snugly on the wearer's face (ie. No light leakage from behind the wearer)

Fragility is yet another. Every time an AR coating of considerable age gets moist (2-3 years), it has a damn good chance of delaminating.

Fragility is yet another. Every time an AR coating of considerable age gets moist (2-3 years), it has a damn good chance of delaminating.
That is true. The more coatings there are, the higher the risk of damage and hence shorter lifespans.

People who don't wear RX eyewear always assume glasses lenses should last a lifetime when in fact they're manufactured with technologies that are designed to last no more than 5 years max and should be replaced every 2-3 years

Cuz backside AR is hard to clean, your average Oakley wraparound sits so close to your face that would make it very easy to soil. Also, AR coating is most durable on glass, probably very hard to do on poly.

Back